Bumble bee nest size

  • scott p
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20, 2011
      Hi everyone,

      I am trying to find info on the number of bumble bees (specifically B. impatiens) present in a wild hive. I am having trouble finding papers about how hive size varies through the season. I'm sure it varies wildly with tons of factors, but any info would be helpful. Thanks!

      Scott Prajzner

      Graduate Research Associate
      OSU-OARDC
      prajzner.1@...
      517-281-4818
    • Liz Day
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 20, 2011
        > I am trying to find info on the number of bumble bees
        > (specifically B. impatiens) present in a wild hive. I am
        > having trouble finding papers about how hive size varies
        > through the season. I'm sure it varies wildly with tons of
        > factors, but any info would be helpful. Thanks!
        >
        > Scott Prajzner
        >
        > Graduate Research Associate
        > OSU-OARDC
        > prajzner.1@...
        > 517-281-4818

        Check the older stuff, by Frison, Hobbs, etc. I think they're more likely to have info of this type.
        Plath (1934, the book Bumblebees and Their Ways) found an impatiens nest with 450 workers and 500 cocoons, or so he claims. (I kinda wonder, because on another page he says it's common for them to make 500-1000 queens&males, which seems hard to believe).
        Husband (1977, Observations on colony size in bumblebees, Great Lakes Entomologist 10:83-85) found one with 756 adults. It describes how many pupae, etc., too.

        cheers,
        Liz D.
        Indianpolis USA