Cotton and the food on our table

  • Louise lynch
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2011
      Hello again!

      I have a couple of questions about some "facts" that have come my way that are to be in the exhibit.

      "One third of the foods we eat come from insect pollination."  I've seen this statement in numerous places but I don't know where it came from.  Does anyone know if it solely refers to direct pollination, as in fruits and vegetables?  Does it reflect meat and dairy products that result from bee-pollinated alfalfa feed?

      "Insect pollinators are indirectly involved in cotton production."  I've read that having honey bees (or other bees?) present in cotton fields increases production.  So though the plant is considered self-pollinating, the plant itself benefits from bee presence and the economic production benefits even more so.  Are bees actually used in cotton production often?  Can I connect bees to something like denim jeans?

      Any elaboration or verification of these would be much appreciated!

      Thanks much!

      Louise
    • Daren Eiri
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 9, 2011
        HI Louise,
        You can visit the link below for a PDF. It is the 2010 Congressional
        Research Service report, which has a table illustrating the value of
        honey bees for specific crops. Perhaps there is a reference in there
        that can give you the specific answers you're looking for.

        http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL33938.pdf

        Cheers,
        Daren