YOUR Nomada specimens needed for molecular work

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2007

      This posted for Molly....you can reply directly to her.....sam

      Dear Listserve members,

      I am currently a postdoc at the Smithsonian, working on the genus Nomada using DNA data.  I am investigating two main areas: The world-wide higher-level phylogeny of the genus and on a couple tricky species complexes within the group.

      Within the species groups, I am presently focusing on the group sometimes known as "Gnathias"-- i.e., Nomada with bidentate mandibles (for example, in eastern North America there are the species N. perplexa, N. maculata, N. cuneata, N. hydrophylli, N. louisianae, N. subnigrocincta, N. lepida, and N. ovata-- but note that I am not only interested in specimens from eastern N. A.).  I am writing ask that if you have any material of this group collected within the past 5 to 7 years, and are willing to allow me to sample a midleg from your specimens, would you please kindly contact me so that we can discuss this possibility?

      At the higher level, I am interested in Nomada from species-groups other than ruficornis species-group (sensu Alexander), or anything that seems different or particularly interesting morphologically or distributionally.

      Thanks very much for any help that you can provide.

      Best wishes,
      Molly

      Molly G. Rightmyer
      Postdoctoral Research Fellow