Re: [beemonitoring] Bumble Bees

  • gibbs@yorku.ca
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2007
      There is an online key to the Bombus of the world:

      http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/projects/bombus/lucid/index.html

      Jason
      --
      PhD Candidate
      Department of Biology

      Quoting beeguild@...:

      > Joe:
      >
      > You likely used the general public bumblebee guide instead of the Bombus
      > guide:
      >
      > _http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Bombus_
      > (http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Bombus)
      >
      > The Bombus guide, as Jack notes, contains all the eastern Bumblebee species,
      > including the parasitic members and is up to date taxonomically. In keeping
      > with that theme, Claudia Ratti is down here in our lab starting the process
      > of expanding the Bombus guide to include all species north of Mexico....that
      > process should take several weeks and we will let folks know when it is
      > complete.
      >
      > sam
      >
      > In a message dated 11/27/2007 12:40:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > jlnatctmi@... writes:
      >

      > Joe: Recent studies have shown that recognizing
      > Psithyrus at the generic level renders Bombus
      > paraphyletic. In modern classifications, Psithyrus
      > is now just one of the many subgenera of Bombus.
      >
      > Jack Neff
      >
      > Members,
      >
      > When I was on theDiscover Life website, I
      > tried to key out 2 species of Bumble Bee which Ihad
      > seen nectaring on catnip in my yard a couple years
      > ago. I didn't knowwhat characters were important, so I
      > didn't write down the rightinformation. One of the
      > things I did write down was that one had a fullpollen
      > sac (I think this is technically called a corbicula)
      > and the otherhad none visible at all. I thought the
      > one without a pollen sac might bein the genus
      > Psithyris which contains Cuckoo Bumble Bees. Whilethe
      > key accounted for a number of unnamed species in the
      > genus (?)Asilidae (an odd name for a genus which I'm
      > assuming is in theDipteran family Bombylliidae)assu
      > well as the bee generaBombus, Ceratina and Xylocopa,
      > it didn't include thegenus Psithyris. Was there a name
      > change, was it an oversight,aren'change, was it an
      > genus within the range of the key! ! ?
      >
      > Joe
      > Metzger
      >
      > John L. Neff
      > Central Texas Melittological Institute
      > 7307 Running Rope
      > Austin,TX 78731 USA
      > 512-345-7219

      > Be a better pen pal.
      >

      > **************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest
      > products.

    • Dave Green
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2007
        By October and November here in South Carolina, I only see males on flowers.

        I've been asked sometimes if bees sleep. I say yes, based on my observations several times of fraternus males on tickseed late in the year. They settle on the flowers late in the day. If you disturb them, then fly away. But about dusk, they seem to "go to sleep" quite rapidly - it only takes a couple minutes. After that, they will not fly if you disturb them. You can even poke them and they will just barely move, perhaps raising a hind leg at most.

        This year we have a lot of little volunteer sunflowers around our bird feeder. I let them grow and bloom, because there is little forage in the yard at this time of year. Male impatiens have been sleeping in the blossoms in the same way, and in the cool mornings they are slow to waken. But they will suddenly rouse and be off, perhaps an hour after sunrise. We have a few sunflowers still blooming, but these bees finally disappeared about a week ago. We had three or four that came for nearly a month; I'm sure they were the same individuals. We thought of them as pets.

        Interestingly the Christmas camellias are blooming and I've not seen a bee on them this year. They are jammed with yellow jackets, paper wasps and hornets though. These are quite aggressive to each other, so perhaps have discouraged the bees.

        Any comments would be welcome. I've not heard of this from others.

        Dave Green