RE: Fwd: Where are the crickets and grasshoppers?

  • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2011
      I have noticed that here at Mtn. Lake Biol. Station in western VA, there seem to be a lot fewer bumblebees (but not smaller solitary bees) than last year.  It was very cold and rainy all winter, I am told, and warm weather just arrived about a week ago...I wonder if the many heavy downpours have drowned some ground nesters?

      Barbara J Abraham, PhD
      Associate Professor of Biology
      SEEDS Chapter Advisor
      Department of Biological Sciences
      Hampton University
      Hampton, VA 23668
      757-727-5283

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Leslie Saul <leslie@...>
      Date: May 29, 2011 1:31:38 PM PDT
      To: Entomology Discussion List <ENTOMO-L@...>, otte@...
      Bcc: Leslie Saul <lsaulgershenz@...>
      Subject: Fwd: Where are the crickets and grasshoppers?

      Hi Fellow Entomologists!

      I received this email below today. We have had a very cold, wet, long winter/spring here in California this year.  The solitary bees I work on have had to work between the rain and cold. It was cold and rained again yesterday!  I don't know how the east coast has been doing weather wise specifically compared to previous years particularly in Pittsburg.

      If this question were about the Mojave Desert I could give a very good answer but I think perhaps someone out east  has their pulse on this.  I am sending this to Dan Otte as well.

      Thanks,

      Leslie

      Does

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Sarah Richardson <sjklinkendorfer@...>
      Date: May 29, 2011 12:31:58 AM PDT
      Subject: Where are the crickets and grasshoppers?

      Dear Ms. Saul Gershenz,

      My name is Sarah Richardson and I currently reside in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and have for the past 10 years. I am writing you to ask a question I think you are more qualified to answer than most anyone else and I hope you can help shed some light on my quandary.

      For the past few months, I have noticed that something has been quite off around this area and for the longest time I wasn't able to put my finger on it. My boyfriend and I puzzled for hours trying to figure out what was amiss. Then tonight, we realized what it was...

      The night is silent and there are no crickets and grasshoppers and have not been for a while.

      Neither my boyfriend, nor I, can fathom what might be the cause....stink bugs taking over territory?...the strange weather shifts?...a new pesticide?...whatever is happening to the bees?

      Has anyone else brought this to your attention?

      I know you are a very busy individual, and I'm sure you have many other much more important things to tend to, but I thought as a conservation entomologist you might be able to figure out a cause for this.

      Thank you for taking the time to read this, and if you can find the time, a response with your opinion or a concrete answer would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you again.

      Sincerely
      Sarah Richardson

      Thank you

      Leslie Saul-Gershenz
      Department of Entomology
      UC Davis
      Davis, California

    • pollinator2001
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2011
        Bumblebees were very late arriving here in coastal SC this year. I occasionally see queens on wild plums, certainly most years by the time azaleas bloom. I saw none this year. But B. impatiens are all over my yard now, a few B. pensylvanicus are showing up too, on the tomatoes.

        I was disappointed to see only one orchard mason bee during apple bloom, and none nested in our wild bee house. Honeybees did a good job though, and we have a good apple crop on. By now there are lots of Lasioglossum bees and a fair number of Agapostemon

        Plenty of crickets. Grasshoppers are sparse, probably controlled by predators, which we encourage on our bee refuge here. We have hoards of assassin bugs and paper wasps, and goodly numbers of ladybird beetles. Japanese beetles have dwindled drastically in the last few years and I have yet to see one this year. Have not seen an aphid yet this year. Fireflies must be endangered around here - almost none in recent years.

        Dave