bee monitoring

  • rachna pande
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13 12:32 AM
      hi friends

      Actually it is my first mail to that group. I am from India. Recently I have joined as a Scientist in Indian Council of agricultural Research...in agricultural  Entomology.

      My first posting is in northeast India (Meghalaya state) rich in biodiversity.

       I am planning to study the crop wise pollinators diversity like in cereal crops, vegetable crops and fruit crops and effect of different control measure (like different biopesticides) on their abundance.

      I always read the email and reply of many experts of this group. If you have any kind suggestions or guide lines with that matter please share with me.....

      --
      With regards,

      Dr. RACHNA PANDE
      Scientist, ARS
      Division of Entomology
      ICAR Research Complex for NEH Region
      Umiam, Meghalya
      INDIA

      " Smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight "

    • Natalia Bjorklund
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2014

        Hi All,

        I would like to solicit advise from the group - for my PhD research, I am doing a survey of urban gardens to 1) understand what native bees we have in SE Nebraska, and 2) explore the impact that plant diversity has on pollinator abundance and diversity in the home landscape setting.  I plan to sweep net once every two weeks from April-October.  I will ID down to Family, and in Megachilidae, down to species.

        I am having trouble finding a protocol for standardizing the 'plots.'  As we all probably know, gardens are irregularly shaped and vary in size.  One thing I am considering is taking a bloom count at each sweep net event and looking at that in relation to the overall square footage of the property.

        Has anyone dealt with standardizing/characterizing plots within home landscapes? If anyone has any suggestions or previous experience with something like this, please contact me via the information below.

        Thank you all in advance.

        Natalia Bjorklund
        Extension Educator, Horticulture
        Nebraska Extension
        1206 W. 23rd St.
        Fremont, NE  68025
        natalia.bjorklund@...
        402.727.2775
        @GreatPlainBees

        'Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them.'  - A.A. Milne