Re: [beemonitoring] Bee Nest Indentification

  • Charley Eiseman
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10 8:41 AM
      Hi Coleman,

      I summarized all the information I could find in chapter 8 of my book: http://northernnaturalists.com/invert_tracks.html
      Charley Eiseman
      On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:10 AM, COLEMAN Z LITTLE <CZL05001@...> wrote:

      Hello Everyone,

      I recently put bee houses in our nature reserve at my school and they are already taking up some residents. The problem now is figuring out a way to indentify the bees based on how they cap their holes. Does anyone know where I can get information for identifying them?
      Thank You,
      Coleman Little

      --
      Ecological services: www.charleyeiseman.com
      Blog: bugtracks.wordpress.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10 11:08 AM
        Charley/Coleman,

        Thanks for spearheading this topic, and I did not know that this book had a Chapter on this topic. I wasn't able to see much about it via the web link provided.

        I have always wanted to know how to identify specie by cap recognition. I recently contacted a fellow native bee enthusiast regarding this matter, and he stated the following:

        "The differences between plugs of various bee species can be very subtle and not discernable through photographs. The possibility that someone might misidentify their bees through online images of plugs is very high."

        I do know there is a considerable amount of information one can gleam from the plug itself including but not limited to: diameter, depth, concave/convex, substrate(s) used, etc—but I have a hunch there are a limited amount of people on this earth with the ability to identify the exact species via most plug appearances, some at the Logan Bee Lab in Utah. I admit I have learned a substantial amount in only a few years, but I am involved with a limited amount of species.

        I would LOVE to see Discover Life include nesting imagery!

        Sincerely,

        Kimball Clark
        NativeBees.com

        CHARLEY followed this post with the following:

        Kimball,

        Yes, I should clarify that no one should expect to reach a species level identification of a bee nest plug using my book. It discusses the groups (families/genera) of bees and wasps that nest in pre-existing cavities and the materials they use. I imagine it is possible for a person intimately familiar with the local bee fauna to develop an ability to identify nest plugs more specifically, but I don't have that level of knowledge, and it would not be practical to try to do this in a book that covers all kinds of invertebrates across North America.

        Charley