Video Bee takes pollinia of C. parviflorum

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2011

      Today, while I was giving exams, attending a Rank and Tenure Meeting and catching the end of a retirement party for Dr. John Severson my research colleague, Dr. Retha Meier, went to our field site at Cuivre River.  Here is some of the first video ever taken showing how a bee exits the pouch of a yellow lady's slipper.  The yellow smear on the bee's back is the orchid's sticky pollen.  This species is pollinated exclusively by small, native American bee species.  Charles Darwin was the first to observe the process in C. calceolus but this may be the first time it has been filmed.  Darwin dropped his bee into the orchid's pouch.  Retha waited and waited until a bee arrived in situ,  With Dr. Meier's permission perhaps I can show this footage at the International Botanical Congress in Melbourne this July (I'm one of the guest speakers).

      YouTube has it's dark side.  Today I learned that some daffy British creationist is using my book, "Wily VIolets and Underground Orchids" to insist that the orchid seed-fungus symbiosis is an act of divine intervention. Should I contact the idiot who posted the video and issue a warning?  Your advice would be appreciated.

      Sincerely, Peter Bernhardt