Western genera added to the discoverlife genus guide

  • Robert Jean
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2011
      Hello all,
      I just wanted to let you all know that we have recently added and updated the bee genus guide at www.discoverlife.org.  We have added 43 bee genera that occur in the west but do not occur in the east.  Thus it should now be possible to identify most specimens to the genus level using this guide in North America north of Mexico.  If identifying a bee from west of the Mississippi River please be sure to click both options in the first character (bee genera shared by both the east and west and bee genera only occurring in the west).  Please feel free to comment/critique the guide.  We are particularly interested in comments on wording issues and how well the guide is resolving.  If you have other characters you think would also be useful please let us know.  As we from the east have little contact with most of these western genera any comments are greatly appreciated.  Please send those comments either directly to me (Rob Jean, beeman_4602@...) or to Sam.  The genus guide link is as follows: http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Bee_genera
      Happy bee IDing,
      Rob Jean