Question about Intertegular Spans and Foraging Distance

  • Daniel Paiva Silva
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 29, 2011
      Dear Nicole Freeman and everyone else,

      I am starting my Ph.D. sampling here in Brazil and I am also facing the same problem. I would like very much to know if IT spam is really a good surrogate to fly capacity and if there is any place where I can obtain the species (or genera) average IT spam measurements...

      Nicole, I don't know if it is to ask to much of you, but could you please indicate me the latest papers you have read that argue that IT spam is a good surrogate for bees' flight capacity?

      Thank you very much!
      Best regards,

      Daniel.

      ——

      Daniel de Paiva Silva

      Graduate Program in Ecology & Evolution
      Theoretical Ecology and Synthesis Lab - LETS
      Biological Sciences Institute - ICB - UFG
      Goiânia - Goiás - Brazil

      +55 62 8140.8800  - Cell Phone
      +55 62 3521.1373  - Lab

      LATTES CV: http://lattes.cnpq.br/1409353191899248
      ACADEMIA: http://ufg.academia.edu/DanielPaivaSilva
      SKYPE ACC: daniel.de.paiva.silva

    • Anita M. Collins
      Message 2 of 11 , May 15, 2011

         USDA ID the morphometric measurements used to differentiate Africanized and European honey bees does use wing length as a quick and dirty field measurement.  That will work for extremes of both types, but more intermediate sizes require a 23 (can't remember exactly) point measurement.  This includes other wing lengths and angles, as well as wax mirror length and width, and number of hamuli on the wings.

        anita

        If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be research. Albert Einstein

        On 04/29/11, Matthias Buck<buckmb@...> wrote:

        Hi all,

        Yes, I am using wing length as a measure in Vespidae. I have never looked into how this precisely relates to other body measurements such as weight, size of thorax etc. However, the scope of my work has been purely taxonomic, so I have not been interested in fitness parameters, foraging ranges or that sort of thing. It simply serves me as an approximate indicator of body size.

        Cheers,

                    Matthias

        On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Sam Droege <sdroege@...> wrote:

        All:

        I believe Matthias  Buck often uses wing length in his vespid work as a measure of size.... I would assume that the regression people have looked at this with bees....?

        There's a certain Slant of light,
        Winter Afternoons—
        That oppresses, like the Heft
        Of Cathedral Tunes—
        Heavenly Hurt, it gives us—
        We can find no scar,
        But internal difference,
        Where the Meanings, are—
        None may teach it—Any—
        'Tis the Seal Despair—
        An imperial affliction
        Sent us of the Air—
        When it comes, the Landscape listens—
        Shadows—hold their breath—
        When it goes, 'tis like the Distance
        On the look of Death—
           -Emily Dickinson

        P Bees are not optional.

        From:Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...>
        To:Sam Droege <sdroege@...>, beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        Cc:Nicole Freeman <ndfreeman@...>
        Date:04/29/2011 11:05 AM
        Subject:Re: [beemonitoring] Question about Intertegular Spans and Foraging Distance

        All:  The best way to measure size is to actually weigh the bees, but that's a bit messy with pinned specimens.  Transtegular span works as well as any single morphological measurement when comparing things which vary greatly in size.  Its utility decreases when dealing with things of roughly similar size (at least in one dimension) since it assumes everything is essentially the same shape, something that doesn't work well when comparing things like a Chelostoma and an Exomalopsis or anything with any form of allometry.  One should also be aware that the  folks who have concocted regression analyses leading to the formulas predicting mass from transtegular widths have all come up with slightly different equations based on the different datasets they analyzed.

        From: Sam Droege <sdroege@...>
        To:
        beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com