Bee Monitoring Videos available for download

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2011

      Several people have mentioned that they cannot access our YouTube videos due to their agencies' Internet policies.  Fixed!  Sue Boo from our office has uploaded the original videos to the following ftp site where you can download them.

      ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laurel/Droege/How-to/

      These are all public domain, please feel free to modify, distribute and do with what you want.   Please don't ask us for permission...we get enough email already!

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      Not only the Eskimos

      Not only the Eskimos
      We have only one noun
      but as many different kinds:

      the grainy snow of the Puritans
      and snow of soft, fat flakes,

      guerrilla snow, which comes in the night
      and changes the world by morning,

      rabbinical snow, a permanent skullcap
      on the highest mountains,

      snow that blows in like the Lone Ranger,
      riding hard from out of the West,

      surreal snow in the Dakotas,
      when you can't find your house, your street,
      though you are not in a dream
      or a science-fiction movie,

      snow that tastes good to the sun
      when it licks black tree limbs,
      leaving us only one white stripe,
      a replica of a skunk,

      unbelievable snows:
      the blizzard that strikes on the tenth of April,
      the false snow before Indian summer,
      the Big Snow on Mozart's birthday,
      when Chicago became the Elysian Fields
      and strangers spoke to each other,

      paper snow, cut and taped,
      to the inside of grade-school windows,

      in an old tale, the snow
      that covers a nest of strawberries,
      small hearts, ripe and sweet,
      the special snow that goes with Christmas,
      whether it falls or not,

      the Russian snow we remember
      along with the warmth and smell of furs,
      though we have never traveled
      to Russia or worn furs,

      Villon's snows of yesteryear,
      lost with ladies gone out like matches,
      the snow in Joyce's "The Dead,"
      the silent, secret snow
      in a story by Conrad Aiken,
      which is the snow of first love,

      the snowfall between the child
      and the spacewoman on TV,

      snow as idea of whiteness,
      as in snowdrop, snow goose, snowball bush,

      the snow that puts stars in your hair,
      and your hair, which has turned to snow,

      the snow Elinor Wylie walked in
      in velvet shoes,

      the snow before her footprints
      and the snow after,