assessing bee density

  • Evelyn Fetridge
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2006
      Hello bee monitors,

      I hoping to assess bee density / abundance at my study sites, which are residential flower gardens in a suburban area.  From the studies I've read, it seems that usually researchers have tallied bee visitation to shrubs / plots over a period of perhaps 15 minutes.  This seems like a method I could employ, however, the twist is that at my sites there is tremendous diversity of flowering plant species.  In some other studies, it appears that either the diversity is much lower or the researcher is simply interested in visitation to a particular plant species, rather than to the site as a whole.  I want a measure of bee density in the garden... But surely there will be an interaction between plant type and the garden-scale characteristics whose effects on bee density I am interested in.  And of course, all gardens do not have the same suite of plants.

      I am a grad student in Gail Langellotto's lab at Fordham Univ. in the Bronx.  Gail, if you have anything to add to this, please do!

      Thanks very much for any ideas, advice, or relevant experience you might have,
      Evelyn Fetridge

      Ring'em or ping'em. Make PC-to-phone calls as low as 1ยข/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.