Re: [beemonitoring] Question regarding Proteriades

  • John S. Ascher
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13 1:24 PM
      Matt,

      Nearly all currently recognized world bee taxa are listed here (excepting
      only some extremely obscure or problematic taxa not treated properly in
      revisions or catalogs):

      http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?act=x_checklist&guide=Apoidea_species

      The list now includes 19,767 valid bee species. Tens of thousands of
      synonyms and valid subspecific names are also recorded. These "other
      names" should be complete for nearly all New World and Western European
      taxa and for many others). Note that this list is far more accurate and
      complete than the ITIS World Bee Checklist (now being updated to
      incorporate hundreds of significant additions and corrections as yet
      accessible only through Discover Life).

      All the names in this list should be accurate and current as of 24 March,
      2011. The rank or optimal name for certain taxa are controversial, but I
      think most authorities have been happy to recognize Proteriades as a genus
      subsequent to Michener (2000).

      You can search upon all of the names by locality, family-group and
      genus-group taxa and certain other variables (e.g., presence in AMNH and
      Cornell collections) using the following dynamic guide:

      http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Apoidea_species&flags=HAS:

      If you click the box next to subgenus Proteriades and hit "Send" you will
      retrieve in the left sidebar of the guide a list of all 22 Hoplitis
      species belonging to this subgenus. Note that all historical combinations
      in Proteriades are listed among "other names" for each of these species
      (and those belonging to other subgenera formerly included in genus
      Proteriades) even if this is not the original or current combination.

      Note that additional subgenera now included in Hoplitis, such as Acrosmia,
      Hoplitina, Penteriades, used to be in genus Proteriades in addition to
      subgenus Proteriades (see Michener, McGinley, and Danforth, 1994).

      I welcome any feedback on the bee names, distributions, and other data,
      especially additions and corrections no matter how obscure. Please send
      technical comments and queries regarding the guide and checklist
      technology to John Pickering of Discover Life.

      John

      --
      John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
      Bee Database Project Manager
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13 1:45 PM
        >The rank or optimal name for certain taxa are controversial, but I
        >think most authorities have been happy to recognize Proteriades as a genus
        >subsequent to Michener (2000).

        I think it's safe to say that John meant to write "subgenus" here. ;-)