Re: [beemonitoring] Question regarding Proteriades

  • Jack Neff
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
      Male Proteriades have basal flaps on S6 which makes them part of Hoplitis sensu Michcner, 2000.  The molecular phylogeny of Praz et al, 2008 clearly put the lone exemplar of Proteriades in their study (H. zuni) within Hoplitis.

      best

      Jack

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
        Matt,

        Nearly all currently recognized world bee taxa are listed here (excepting
        only some extremely obscure or problematic taxa not treated properly in
        revisions or catalogs):

        http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?act=x_checklist&guide=Apoidea_species

        The list now includes 19,767 valid bee species. Tens of thousands of
        synonyms and valid subspecific names are also recorded. These "other
        names" should be complete for nearly all New World and Western European
        taxa and for many others). Note that this list is far more accurate and
        complete than the ITIS World Bee Checklist (now being updated to
        incorporate hundreds of significant additions and corrections as yet
        accessible only through Discover Life).

        All the names in this list should be accurate and current as of 24 March,
        2011. The rank or optimal name for certain taxa are controversial, but I
        think most authorities have been happy to recognize Proteriades as a genus
        subsequent to Michener (2000).

        You can search upon all of the names by locality, family-group and
        genus-group taxa and certain other variables (e.g., presence in AMNH and
        Cornell collections) using the following dynamic guide:

        http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Apoidea_species&flags=HAS:

        If you click the box next to subgenus Proteriades and hit "Send" you will
        retrieve in the left sidebar of the guide a list of all 22 Hoplitis
        species belonging to this subgenus. Note that all historical combinations
        in Proteriades are listed among "other names" for each of these species
        (and those belonging to other subgenera formerly included in genus
        Proteriades) even if this is not the original or current combination.

        Note that additional subgenera now included in Hoplitis, such as Acrosmia,
        Hoplitina, Penteriades, used to be in genus Proteriades in addition to
        subgenus Proteriades (see Michener, McGinley, and Danforth, 1994).

        I welcome any feedback on the bee names, distributions, and other data,
        especially additions and corrections no matter how obscure. Please send
        technical comments and queries regarding the guide and checklist
        technology to John Pickering of Discover Life.

        John

        --
        John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
        Bee Database Project Manager
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
          >The rank or optimal name for certain taxa are controversial, but I
          >think most authorities have been happy to recognize Proteriades as a genus
          >subsequent to Michener (2000).

          I think it's safe to say that John meant to write "subgenus" here. ;-)