Question regarding Proteriades

  • Matthew McKinney
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
      According to some older sources Proteriades is of genera status while
      Michener's Bees of the World shows that Proteriades is a subgenera of
      Hoplitis. Can anyone tell me what is currently accepted as correct?
      Thanks,
      Matt
    • Jack Neff
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
        Male Proteriades have basal flaps on S6 which makes them part of Hoplitis sensu Michcner, 2000.  The molecular phylogeny of Praz et al, 2008 clearly put the lone exemplar of Proteriades in their study (H. zuni) within Hoplitis.

        best

        Jack

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
          Matt,

          Nearly all currently recognized world bee taxa are listed here (excepting
          only some extremely obscure or problematic taxa not treated properly in
          revisions or catalogs):

          http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?act=x_checklist&guide=Apoidea_species

          The list now includes 19,767 valid bee species. Tens of thousands of
          synonyms and valid subspecific names are also recorded. These "other
          names" should be complete for nearly all New World and Western European
          taxa and for many others). Note that this list is far more accurate and
          complete than the ITIS World Bee Checklist (now being updated to
          incorporate hundreds of significant additions and corrections as yet
          accessible only through Discover Life).

          All the names in this list should be accurate and current as of 24 March,
          2011. The rank or optimal name for certain taxa are controversial, but I
          think most authorities have been happy to recognize Proteriades as a genus
          subsequent to Michener (2000).

          You can search upon all of the names by locality, family-group and
          genus-group taxa and certain other variables (e.g., presence in AMNH and
          Cornell collections) using the following dynamic guide:

          http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Apoidea_species&flags=HAS:

          If you click the box next to subgenus Proteriades and hit "Send" you will
          retrieve in the left sidebar of the guide a list of all 22 Hoplitis
          species belonging to this subgenus. Note that all historical combinations
          in Proteriades are listed among "other names" for each of these species
          (and those belonging to other subgenera formerly included in genus
          Proteriades) even if this is not the original or current combination.

          Note that additional subgenera now included in Hoplitis, such as Acrosmia,
          Hoplitina, Penteriades, used to be in genus Proteriades in addition to
          subgenus Proteriades (see Michener, McGinley, and Danforth, 1994).

          I welcome any feedback on the bee names, distributions, and other data,
          especially additions and corrections no matter how obscure. Please send
          technical comments and queries regarding the guide and checklist
          technology to John Pickering of Discover Life.

          John

          --
          John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
          Bee Database Project Manager
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
            >The rank or optimal name for certain taxa are controversial, but I
            >think most authorities have been happy to recognize Proteriades as a genus
            >subsequent to Michener (2000).

            I think it's safe to say that John meant to write "subgenus" here. ;-)