Re: [beemonitoring] Bee collecting cactus spines? [1 Attachment]

  • Matthias Buck
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2011
      Chanda:

      It definitely looks like an Osmiini. Could it be collecting resin at the base of the spines? Opuntia often produces little bits of resin in these areas. Or was it sleeping there?

      Matthias

      On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Chanda Henne <csbutrfly12@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Chanda Henne included below]

      Hi all,

      I was out recently to take pictures of bees in the open prickly pear cactus flowers, and noted a bee spending a lot of time around the spines.  At first I thought it was a halictid due to its blue-green color, but after examining the photos, I am not so sure anymore.  My next thought was Osmia, but am a little confused by the behavior.  I know some bees will collect other plant parts for nesting, but I didn't think Osmia was one of those groups.  I have attached a picture of this bee, and was wondering if someone might recognize it and/or explain the behavior.  The picture was taken at the Arroyo Colorado birding center park in Harlingen, TX.

      Thanks,
      Chanda

      --
      Dr. Matthias Buck
      Invertebrate Zoology
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2011
        >I have attached a picture of this bee, and was wondering if someone
        >might recognize it and/or explain the behavior.

        The areoles of Opuntia definitely produce extra-floral necctar, and
        are visited by all sorts of bees, wasps, and flies. The only slightly
        odd thing is that this is generally most obvious on the young growth,
        and this bee is clearly visiting an older pad. Of course, bees are
        smart enough that they might learn that areoles are good nectar
        sources - after foraging nearer the meristem - and be persistent
        about checking out areoles that may no longer be producing
        significant nectar rewards.

        Peace,

      • John S. Ascher
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2011
          Regarding identification of this Osmia female, it appears to have strong
          white tergal hair bands. I therefore suspect that it could be Osmia
          (Diceratosmia) subfasciata subfasciata which has "been collected as early
          as March 7 at Brownsville, Texas" (not too far SSE of Harlingen).

          John

          --
          John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
          Bee Database Project Manager