New videos on using and making glycol traps for native bees and mass painting of bee bowls.

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2011

      We have just posted 3 new How-to videos.

      1.  How to make a propylene glycol native bee trap holder
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x87CXM7mq54
      Cost = about 15 cents each

      2.  How to deploy, run, and process a set of glycol traps
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0DAY7bNOR4

      3.  How to quickly paint a lot of bee bowl traps
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h-wA9M7-U4

      Note that we are in the beginning phase of establishing a network of glycol traps for long-term monitoring of bees.  We will gradually implement that throughout the this year.  Last year's pilot and recommendations are viewable at:

      ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laurel/Droege/Draft%20USFS%20Glycol%20Report%2022711.pdf

      Which will soon be replaced by a final version.

      Note that propylene glycol traps have the following advantages for monitoring bees and doing bee research

      1.  They trap continuously and thus remove the effect of phenological shifts and the choice of trapping day on captures of bees and also require fewer traps to effectively survey a site.
      2.  They are less work as they need only be filtered rather than bowl traps put out and then picked up.
      3.  They can be incorporated into routine maintenance of weather stations and other periodic events and thus are easier for maintenance and technicians to man.

      "Weather"

      Weather, n. The climate of an hour. A permanent topic of conversation among persons whom it does not interest, but who have inherited the tendency to chatter about it from naked arboreal ancestors whom it keenly concerned. The setting up of official weather bureaus and their maintenance in mendacity prove that even governments are accessible to suasion by the rude forefathers of the jungle.

                    Once I dipt into the future far as human eye could see,
                    And I saw the Chief Forecaster, dead as any one can be--
                    Dead and damned and shut in Hades as a liar from his birth,
                    With a record of unreason seldom paralleled on earth.
                    While I looked he reared him solemnly, that incandescent youth,
                    From the coals that he'd preferred to the advantages of truth.
                    He cast his eyes about him and above him; then he wrote
                    On a slab of thin asbestos what I venture here to quote--
                    For I read it in the rose-light of the everlasting glow:
                    "Cloudy; variable winds, with local showers; cooler; snow."

      Halcyon Jones.

         - Ambrose Bierce