Re: [beemonitoring] ID Help

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2011
      Dear Mr Weaver:

      Another thing about nemestrinids.  The native species of southern Africa are extremely important as pollinators of native wildflowers (including wild gladiolus) with long floral tubes.  Several of the South African tangle-vein flies (nemestrinids) have probosces three times the length of their bodies. For some really fascinating information on pollination by South African nemestrinids contact Dr. Peter Goldblatt <pgoldblatt@...> or via <goldblat@...>.

      Peter Bernhardt

      On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:01 PM, franklinweaver <franklinweaver@...> wrote:

      I captured a picture of a bee at my cactus research site in South Texas and was hoping someone could help me with the Identification. The flower that you see in the picture is a Mesquite (prosopis grandulosa). I am more of a plant and wildlife guy, and not good with insects. The bee has an elongated "beak" with a long stinger in the back.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/56315311@N06/5577726982/

      Any Help would be appreciated.