Re: [beemonitoring] Megachile nests constructed in the open?

  • Chris McDonald
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2011
      I have seen a Megachile construct nests inside a cinderblock wall. Well I didn't exactly see inside the wall (as per my lack of x-ray goggles)  nor did I tear down the wall to look inside. But she did deposit pieces of leaves into the large cavity of the cinderblock for a few weeks in Tucson, AZ. How she arranged them inside the cavity is another story.

      Chris

      On 3/28/11 9:39 AM, Jack Neff wrote:

      Doug:  I have seen stacks of freestanding, cells of Megachile brevis constructed in a the large cavity of an electrical switch box so at least some Megachile can construct thimble type nests without the lateral constraints of walls.  Building individual freestanding cells like those in the picture would be much more difficult and could well be the results of predation by some evil bird, as you suggest.

      best

      Jack