BIML Lab Summary of U.S. Bombus Captures in 2010 and a comparison with 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2011

      This past year the BIML lab was involved in a number of bee projects throughout the U.S.  One in National Parks on Climate Change in Dune and High Elevations, another pilot project in National Forest and Range Experiment Stations to investigate using glycol traps for monitoring.  As part of those studies a fair number of bumblebees were captured and given the current interest and concern over this group I thought it would be useful to document a bit what was captured.

      We spent quite a bit of time working on identifications within this group and comparing our determination with the specimens at the National Collection, but given that our traditional realm is East of the Mississippi there are perhaps some misidentifications and thus we welcome questions and are happy to send specimens that you may have questions about.

      This first table illustrates captures by state
      SpeciesCACODEDCGAIDILIAKYMEMDMAMIMNMTNENJNYNCOHORPASCSDTXUTVAWVWIWY Total
      Bombus appositus
      4
      1
      2
      5
      1
      13
      Bombus auricomus
      2
      1
      1
      2
      6
      Bombus balteatus
      10
      7
      17
      Bombus bifarius
      15
      221
      51
      184
      21
      492
      Bombus bimaculatus
      2
      3
      1
      2
      6
      7
      3
      9
      9
      1
      2
      1
      24
      70
      Bombus borealis
      3
      2
      5
      Bombus californicus
      3
      1
      3
      7
      Bombus caliginosus
      2
      2
      4
      Bombus centralis/flavifrons
      2
      1
      3
      Bombus cinereus
      1
      1
      Bombus citrinus
      10
      5
      2
      17
      Bombus crotchii
      1
      1
      Bombus fernaldae
      6
      2
      2
      3
      13
      Bombus fervidus
      1
      2
      3
      18
      1
      40
      8
      8
      5
      3
      89
      Bombus flavifrons
      14
      90
      4
      44
      24
      176
      Bombus fraternus
      1
      1
      Bombus frigidus
      14
      14
      Bombus griseocollis
      10
      3
      2
      2
      23
      1
      1
      1
      7
      3
      26
      4
      23
      58
      1
      165
      Bombus huntii
      6
      29
      8
      43
      Bombus impatiens
      5
      14
      26
      13
      2
      31
      11
      192
      5
      1
      1
      36
      23
      69
      3
      4
      66
      238
      740
      Bombus insularis
      1
      2
      5
      8
      Bombus melanopygus
      19
      1
      8
      28
      Bombus melanopygus/mixtus
      1
      1
      Bombus mixtus
      28
      8
      1
      41
      78
      Bombus nevadensis
      1
      29
      1
      31
      Bombus occidentalis
      1
      5
      9
      15
      Bombus pensylvanicus
      6
      1
      4
      1
      1
      3
      16
      Bombus perplexus
      4
      1
      4
      8
      1
      1
      2
      1
      1
      1
      7
      31
      Bombus rufocinctus
      3
      3
      2
      5
      2
      18
      86
      119
      Bombus sandersoni
      1
      1
      5
      1
      1
      3
      2
      14
      Bombus species
      1
      1
      3
      1
      38
      7
      51
      Bombus suckleyi
      1
      2
      8
      11
      Bombus ternarius
      101
      117
      2
      3
      223
      Bombus terricola
      1
      10
      11
      Bombus unknown
      1
      1
      2
      Bombus vagans
      94
      1
      2
      20
      3
      1
      7
      2
      52
      2
      184
      Bombus vandykei
      1
      1
      Bombus vosnesenskii
      3
      3
      Grand Total
      11
      123
      5
      44
      38
      331
      20
      2
      36
      225
      259
      5
      5
      161
      68
      1
      1
      56
      2
      37
      5
      88
      8
      128
      9
      308
      106
      392
      5
      225
      2704

      This second table illustrates captures by captures by year.

      2009
      2010
       Total
      Species
      Female
      Male
      Female
      Male
      Bombus appositus
      1
      12
      13
      Bombus auricomus
      3
      3
      6
      Bombus balteatus
      14
      3
      17
      Bombus bifarius
      305
      187
      492
      Bombus bimaculatus
      23
      12
      21
      14
      70
      Bombus borealis
      5
      5
      Bombus californicus
      6
      1
      7
      Bombus caliginosus
      4
      4
      Bombus centralis/flavifrons
      3
      3
      Bombus cinereus
      1
      1
      Bombus citrinus
      1
      15
      1
      17
      Bombus crotchii
      1
      1
      Bombus fernaldae
      6
      7
      13
      Bombus fervidus
      12
      4
      63
      10
      89
      Bombus flavifrons
      1
      100
      75
      176
      Bombus fraternus
      1
      1
      Bombus frigidus
      14
      14
      Bombus griseocollis
      35
      18
      94
      18
      165
      Bombus huntii
      33
      10
      43
      Bombus impatiens
      303
      108
      301
      28
      740
      Bombus insularis
      4
      4
      8
      Bombus melanopygus
      26
      2
      28
      Bombus melanopygus/mixtus
      1
      1
      Bombus mixtus
      10
      64
      4
      78
      Bombus nevadensis
      30
      1
      31
      Bombus occidentalis
      11
      4
      15
      Bombus pensylvanicus
      7
      9
      16
      Bombus perplexus
      6
      8
      10
      7
      31
      Bombus rufocinctus
      14
      8
      72
      25
      119
      Bombus sandersoni
      2
      12
      14
      Bombus species
      6
      6
      9
      32
      53
      Bombus suckleyi
      2
      9
      11
      Bombus ternarius
      4
      1
      210
      8
      223
      Bombus terricola
      7
      4
      11
      Bombus vagans
      42
      13
      117
      12
      184
      Bombus vandykei
      1
      1
      Bombus vosnesenskii
      3
      3
      Grand Total
      469
      195
      1570
      470
      2704

      Many thanks to the network of collaborators, researchers, and naturalists who contributed to these records.  Each of you can clearly see the impact you had from the tallies by state and species.  Without your help very little would be know about Bombus or other species in North America.

      Note that this coming year we will be expanding the glycol trap system with a 5 year test of at least 25 USFS sites across North America as well as working in about twice as many National Parks as well as some scattered work in FWS refuges and other locations.

      The spreadsheet associated with this dataset (Bombus2010.xls and Bombus2010.xlsx) will be available at:

      ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laurel/Droege/
      on MONDAY

      sam

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)