RE: [beemonitoring] New Key to the bee genera of Eastern Canada

  • David Inouye
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
      Which genera are available now?

      At 12:02 PM 10/3/2007, you wrote:

      Dave Smith and other westerners,

      Slowly but surely the western guides are being built one genus at a time.  I would love to have you try them out and give me feedback.:)

      Kim Huntzinger
      eTaxonomist
      Western Bee Guide Developer - DiscoverLife.org
      kimberly_huntzinger@...

      To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      From: David_r_smith@...
      Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:49:27 -0600
      Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] New Key to the bee genera of Eastern Canada

      No comment from those of us in western North America

      Dave Smith
      U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
      323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
      Flagstaff, AZ  86001
      (928) 226-0614 x 109
      "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction"  Dave Rosgen

    • Karen Wetherill
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
        I would be interested in western keys too. Karen

        On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, David Inouye wrote:

        > Which genera are available now?
        >
        > At 12:02 PM 10/3/2007, you wrote:
        >
        > Dave Smith and other westerners,
        >
        > Slowly but surely the western guides are being built one
        > genus at a time. I would love to have you try them out and
        > give me feedback.:)
        >
        > Kim Huntzinger
        > eTaxonomist
        > Western Bee Guide Developer - DiscoverLife.org
        > kimberly_huntzinger@...

        > To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        > From: David_r_smith@...
        > Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:49:27 -0600
        > Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] New Key to the bee genera
        > of Eastern Canada
        >

        > No comment from those of us in western North America
        >
        > Dave Smith
        > U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
        > 323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
        > Flagstaff, AZ 86001
        > (928) 226-0614 x 109
        > "Field data is the best cure for a precarious
        > prediction" Dave Rosgen

        > Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together
        > at last. Get it now!

      • kimberly huntzinger
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
          Current Discover Life bee guides for North America north of Mexico (Sam, please correct this list if I missed something):
          Agapostemon (male/female)
          Halictus (male/female)
          Andrena (male) -draft
          Andrena (female) -draft
          and
          Bumblebees & Mimics guide

          These guides can be found at www.discoverlife.org.  Click on the little Bee icon for a quick link to the bee guides (then scroll down to the Species Guides heading).

          Guides in the works (contact me to access these three guides below):
          Ceratina (male)
          Ceratina (female)
          Ashmeadiella (female)

          Thanks for the interest.
          Kim Huntzinger
          kimberly_huntzinger@...

          To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
          From: karen@...
          Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 18:21:32 -0600

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007

            All:

            On October 18th from 9:00a.m. to 9:00p.m.  the USGS Native Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab in Beltsville, Maryland will be open to anyone who would like to visit and work on native bees, learn bee identification, or identify their specimens.

            We can provide a place to stay for people who are coming from out of town.

            Directions to the lab follow:

            Directions to the  USGS Native Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab

            Sam Droege's Work Number:  301 497 5840
                                Home Number:  301 390 7759

            Directions from the intersection of the Washinton Beltway (495) and the Baltimore Washington Parkway (295).

            Travel NORTH outside of the Beltway towards Baltimore on 295.

            In approximately 5 miles and about 3 exits you will come to an exit for Powdermill Road

            Take the single exit ramp to Powdermill Road and turn LEFT

            (NOTE:  The  main campus and the visitor's center for Patuxent Wildlife Research Center is to the Right, but our lab is located on Beltsville Agriculture Research Center property and therefore you must turn LEFT towards Beltsville)

            Travel about 1.5 miles.

            On your right you will see Entomology Road, this is a marker that your turn is coming soon.

            Take the next right onto Center Road.

            Travel to the last lab building on the left (there are no lab buildings on the right).

            This will be building 308 which is very clearly marked.

            Park in the parking lot out front.

            At the door hit the button on the black box, wait for a reply, and then tell them you are here to visit me and they will let you in.

            Alternatively, if someone is going in or out you can go directly in.

            I am  in room 124.

            Door's usually open.

            sam

            Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

            From Field Work

            Not the mud slick,
            not the black weedy water
            full of alder cones and pock-marked leaves.

            Not the cow parsley in winter
            with its old whitened shins and wrists, its sibilance, its shaking.

            Not even the tart green shade of summer thick with butterflies
            and fungus plump as a leather saddle.

            No. But in a still corner,
            braced to its pebble-dashed wall,
            heavy, earth-drawn, all mouth and eye,

            the sunflower, dreaming umber.
            -Seamus Heaney

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007

              All:

              Rebekah Nelson's lovely line drawings of bee body parts are now online at the Discoverlife bee page:

              http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?search=Apoidea

              sam

              Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

              In nature's infinite book of secrecy
              A little I can read
              Antony and Cleopatra - Shakespeare

            • Marie Springer
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                hmmm that wasn't exactly a line drawing.  big whoops!

                Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
                Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

                In nature's infinite book of secrecy
                A little I can read
                Antony and Cleopatra - Shakespeare

                Marie Springer, President
                Friends of Wallkill River
                National Wildlife Refuges
                1547 Route 565, Sussex, NJ 07461

              • Leo Shapiro
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                  Beautiful drawings--a superb supplement to the keys!

                  Leo

                  At 05:29 PM 10/4/2007, you wrote:

                  All:

                  Rebekah Nelson's lovely line drawings of bee body parts are now online at the Discoverlife bee page:

                  http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?search=Apoidea

                  sam

                  Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

                  In nature's infinite book of secrecy