RE: [beemonitoring] id bee nest from photo

  • Dave Hunter
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011

      I agree with Eric.  You’re probably looking at 3 different Osmia (same species) results.

      However, what is interesting is that you have 3 different types of wall building.  Complete mud encasement, reworking all walls (double walls) on the lower left, and mostly single walls on the right.  Different mud in each case.  …and different pollen source between lower left and right.

      Dave Hunter

      O. 425.949.7954

      C. 206.851.1263

      www.crownbees.com

       Click below to hear the buzz!

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
        Although they are not typical, Osmia lignaria occasionally make nests like that in larger cavities. They usually do a better job with cell symmetry than that though.  The pale, dusty pollen could be oak or some other anemophilous thing.

        best

        Jack

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 9, 2011
          Hi Jil,

          I think the color variation in the mud is just a matter of the
          different patches of soil where the mother bee(s) collected mud
          (variations in clay content, minerals, etc.). The yellow is obviously
          pollen.

          I am guessing that all of the cells were provisioned and capped, but
          the open/empty ones on the bottom are the result of the photographer
          lifting away the covering surface (maybe a stone or a brick, or
          something), and probably dislodging the provisions (making them appear
          empty).

          T'ai can probably clarify the circumstances under which he found this.

          Cheers!

          -Eric

        • Sandra_Lary@fws.gov
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 9, 2011

            Interesting native bee article:

            http://www.gardendesign.com/yellow/bee-season?cmpid=enews030811

            Sandra

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Sandra J. Lary, Senior Fish & Wildlife Biologist
            U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

            Ecological Services-Coastal Program
            4R Fundy Rd, Falmouth ME 04105

            207-781-8364, ext. 19

          • Charley Eiseman
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 10, 2011
              Hi Eric (and other bee nest aficionados),

              I'm curious to hear how you would rule out the possibility that the closed cells in the top row were made by spider wasps (Auplopus or Phanagenia)--if, for instance, they had not been found in association with these obviously pollen-filled cells.  The examples of pompilid nests I have seen tend to have smoother walls and not be so neatly arranged, but I don't know if this is always the case.  Is this very lumpy appearance, with each individual mud pellet visible, typical of Osmia nests?

              Thanks,

              Charley Eiseman

              www.NorthernNaturalists.com