id bee nest from photo

  • T'ai Roulston
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
      Bee Nest Afficionados:

      I received this photo today from someone who attended a bee talk I gave. The photo was taken in northern Virginia May 10, 2006 and the nest cells were between two pieces of siding. I presume the yellow is pollen and these are bee cells, but I've never seen a nest structure like this. The top is all mud.

      Does this look familiar to anyone?

      T'ai

      T'ai Roulston
      Curator, State Arboretum of Virginia
      Research Assoc. Prof., Dept of Envi. Sci.
      University of Virginia

    • Eric Mader
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
        Hi T'ai,

        This looks exactly like the nests my Osmia (both lignaria and cornifrons) commonly produce when tunnel-like cavities are not available. This is very very familiar!

        Cheers!

        -Eric

        On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:09 PM, T'ai Roulston <thr8z@...> wrote:
        Bee Nest Afficionados:

        I received this photo today from someone who attended a bee talk I gave. The photo was taken in northern Virginia May 10, 2006 and the nest cells were between two pieces of siding. I presume the yellow is pollen and these are bee cells, but I've never seen a nest structure like this. The top is all mud.

        Does this look familiar to anyone?

        T'ai

        T'ai Roulston
        Curator, State Arboretum of Virginia
        Research Assoc. Prof., Dept of Envi. Sci.
        University of Virginia

        Eric Mader
        Assistant Pollinator Program Director
            The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
        Assistant Professor of Extension
            University of Minnesota, Department of Entomology

        The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
        1971 – 2011: Forty Years of Conservation!

        4828 SE Hawthorne Blvd., Portland, OR 97215, USA
        eric@...
        Tel: (503) 232-6639
        Toll free: 1-855-232-6639
        Cell: (503) 989-3649
        Skype: eric_mader_xerces_society
        (日本語でどうぞ)

        Find all the information you need to conserve pollinator habitat at: www.xerces.org/pollinator-resource-center/

        The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation is an international nonprofit organization that protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their habitat.

        To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our work, please visit www.xerces.org.

        NEW BOOK NOW AVAILABLE:
        Attracting Native Pollinators. Protecting North America’s Bees and Butterflies
      • Dave Hunter
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011

          I agree with Eric.  You’re probably looking at 3 different Osmia (same species) results.

          However, what is interesting is that you have 3 different types of wall building.  Complete mud encasement, reworking all walls (double walls) on the lower left, and mostly single walls on the right.  Different mud in each case.  …and different pollen source between lower left and right.

          Dave Hunter

          O. 425.949.7954

          C. 206.851.1263

          www.crownbees.com

           Click below to hear the buzz!

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
            Although they are not typical, Osmia lignaria occasionally make nests like that in larger cavities. They usually do a better job with cell symmetry than that though.  The pale, dusty pollen could be oak or some other anemophilous thing.

            best

            Jack

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 9, 2011
              Hi Jil,

              I think the color variation in the mud is just a matter of the
              different patches of soil where the mother bee(s) collected mud
              (variations in clay content, minerals, etc.). The yellow is obviously
              pollen.

              I am guessing that all of the cells were provisioned and capped, but
              the open/empty ones on the bottom are the result of the photographer
              lifting away the covering surface (maybe a stone or a brick, or
              something), and probably dislodging the provisions (making them appear
              empty).

              T'ai can probably clarify the circumstances under which he found this.

              Cheers!

              -Eric

            • Sandra_Lary@fws.gov
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 9, 2011

                Interesting native bee article:

                http://www.gardendesign.com/yellow/bee-season?cmpid=enews030811

                Sandra

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Sandra J. Lary, Senior Fish & Wildlife Biologist
                U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

                Ecological Services-Coastal Program
                4R Fundy Rd, Falmouth ME 04105

                207-781-8364, ext. 19

              • Charley Eiseman
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 10, 2011
                  Hi Eric (and other bee nest aficionados),

                  I'm curious to hear how you would rule out the possibility that the closed cells in the top row were made by spider wasps (Auplopus or Phanagenia)--if, for instance, they had not been found in association with these obviously pollen-filled cells.  The examples of pompilid nests I have seen tend to have smoother walls and not be so neatly arranged, but I don't know if this is always the case.  Is this very lumpy appearance, with each individual mud pellet visible, typical of Osmia nests?

                  Thanks,

                  Charley Eiseman

                  www.NorthernNaturalists.com