Long Term Bee Monitoring Draft Pilot Report and Plan

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2011

      All:

      Some of you may know that my primary interest in bees has been the development of means of documenting the status of Bees in North America.   After quite a few years of working with many of you I think I have a reasonable method for tracking long-term change that is both statistically sufficient,  a low burden to those who will maintain the surveys, and relatively low cost.

      The main features of this survey methodology are:

      Each sampling location consists of:
      • An array of 9 colored traps filled with propylene glycol and detergent
      • Those arrays are run continuously throughout the season
      • Traps are strained and replenished every 2 weeks.
      • To diminish logistical burden arrays are located at sites that are either
      •         Weather Stations
      •         Headquarters/Visitor's Centers
      • Specimens are bagged and tagged and mailed to a central processing center twice a year

      We tested the methodology last year at 11 USFS Experiment Stations from throughout the continental U.S. and Puerto Rico.  The results are presented in a lengthy report that is located on our ftp site:

      Site:
      ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laurel/Droege/

      Report:
      ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laurel/Droege/Draft%20USFS%20Glycol%20Report%2022711.docx

      I will also send out a separate email with the wording from the key sections.

      My vision for the next few years will be to:

      1. Develop a network of these sites
      2.  Promote inventories using combinations of bowl traps and netting, supplemented by malaise and glycol trap arrays
      3.  Promote the creation of state/provincial groups to track verified records of bees by county or other geographic subdivisions
      4.  Continued support and expansion of identification guides, tools, techniques, and workshops that promote the above

      Thanks

      I cannot say
      which is which:
      the glowing
      plum blossom is
      the spring night's moon.

      Izumi Shikibu translated by Jane Hirshfield and
      Mariko Aratani

      P Bees are not optional.