RE: [beemonitoring] New Key to the bee genera of Eastern Canada

  • kimberly huntzinger
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
      Dave Smith and other westerners,

      Slowly but surely the western guides are being built one genus at a time.  I would love to have you try them out and give me feedback.:)

      Kim Huntzinger
      eTaxonomist
      Western Bee Guide Developer - DiscoverLife.org
      kimberly_huntzinger@...

      To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      From: David_r_smith@...
      Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:49:27 -0600
      Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] New Key to the bee genera of Eastern Canada

      No comment from those of us in western North America

      Dave Smith
      U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
      323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
      Flagstaff, AZ  86001
      (928) 226-0614 x 109
      "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction"  Dave Rosgen

    • David Inouye

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
          I would be interested in western keys too. Karen

          On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, David Inouye wrote:

          > Which genera are available now?
          >
          > At 12:02 PM 10/3/2007, you wrote:
          >
          > Dave Smith and other westerners,
          >
          > Slowly but surely the western guides are being built one
          > genus at a time. I would love to have you try them out and
          > give me feedback.:)
          >
          > Kim Huntzinger
          > eTaxonomist
          > Western Bee Guide Developer - DiscoverLife.org
          > kimberly_huntzinger@...

          > To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
          > From: David_r_smith@...
          > Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:49:27 -0600
          > Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] New Key to the bee genera
          > of Eastern Canada
          >

          > No comment from those of us in western North America
          >
          > Dave Smith
          > U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
          > 323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
          > Flagstaff, AZ 86001
          > (928) 226-0614 x 109
          > "Field data is the best cure for a precarious
          > prediction" Dave Rosgen

          > Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together
          > at last. Get it now!

        • kimberly huntzinger
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
            Current Discover Life bee guides for North America north of Mexico (Sam, please correct this list if I missed something):
            Agapostemon (male/female)
            Halictus (male/female)
            Andrena (male) -draft
            Andrena (female) -draft
            and
            Bumblebees & Mimics guide

            These guides can be found at www.discoverlife.org.  Click on the little Bee icon for a quick link to the bee guides (then scroll down to the Species Guides heading).

            Guides in the works (contact me to access these three guides below):
            Ceratina (male)
            Ceratina (female)
            Ashmeadiella (female)

            Thanks for the interest.
            Kim Huntzinger
            kimberly_huntzinger@...

            To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            From: karen@...
            Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 18:21:32 -0600

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007

              On October 18th from 9:00a.m. to 9:00p.m.  the USGS Native Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab in Beltsville, Maryland will be open to anyone who would like to visit and work on native bees, learn bee identification, or identify their specimens.

              We can provide a place to stay for people who are coming from out of town.

              Directions to the lab follow:

              Directions to the  USGS Native Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab

              Sam Droege's Work Number:  301 497 5840
                                  Home Number:  301 390 7759

              Directions from the intersection of the Washinton Beltway (495) and the Baltimore Washington Parkway (295).

              Travel NORTH outside of the Beltway towards Baltimore on 295.

              In approximately 5 miles and about 3 exits you will come to an exit for Powdermill Road

              Take the single exit ramp to Powdermill Road and turn LEFT

              (NOTE:  The  main campus and the visitor's center for Patuxent Wildlife Research Center is to the Right, but our lab is located on Beltsville Agriculture Research Center property and therefore you must turn LEFT towards Beltsville)

              Travel about 1.5 miles.

              On your right you will see Entomology Road, this is a marker that your turn is coming soon.

              Take the next right onto Center Road.

              Travel to the last lab building on the left (there are no lab buildings on the right).

              This will be building 308 which is very clearly marked.

              Park in the parking lot out front.

              At the door hit the button on the black box, wait for a reply, and then tell them you are here to visit me and they will let you in.

              Alternatively, if someone is going in or out you can go directly in.

              I am  in room 124.

              Door's usually open.

              sam

              Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

              From Field Work

              Not the mud slick,
              not the black weedy water
              full of alder cones and pock-marked leaves.

              Not the cow parsley in winter
              with its old whitened shins and wrists, its sibilance, its shaking.

              Not even the tart green shade of summer thick with butterflies
              and fungus plump as a leather saddle.

              No. But in a still corner,
              braced to its pebble-dashed wall,
              heavy, earth-drawn, all mouth and eye,

              the sunflower, dreaming umber.
              -Seamus Heaney

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007

                Rebekah Nelson's lovely line drawings of bee body parts are now online at the Discoverlife bee page:

                http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?search=Apoidea

                sam

                Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

                In nature's infinite book of secrecy
                A little I can read
                Antony and Cleopatra - Shakespeare

              • Marie Springer
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                  hmmm that wasn't exactly a line drawing.  big whoops!

                  All:

                  Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
                  Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

                  In nature's infinite book of secrecy
                  A little I can read
                  Antony and Cleopatra - Shakespeare

                  Marie Springer, President
                  Friends of Wallkill River
                  National Wildlife Refuges
                  1547 Route 565, Sussex, NJ 07461

                • Leo Shapiro
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                    Beautiful drawings--a superb supplement to the keys!

                    Leo

                    At 05:29 PM 10/4/2007, you wrote:

                    All:

                    Rebekah Nelson's lovely line drawings of bee body parts are now online at the Discoverlife bee page:

                    http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?search=Apoidea

                    sam

                    Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

                    In nature's infinite book of secrecy