SEM Photos of Orchid Pollinaria on Insects?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2011
      Can anyone refer me to one or more publications featuring good SEM photos of orchid pollinaria attached to the bodies of insects?  I am curious as to whether there is any difference between the attachment of pollinaria with solid-cellular viscidia to the exoskeleton vs. pollinaria with liquid (liquid-viscous glue) viscidia? Of course, the underside of the cellular viscidium contains an adhesive but does the cellular surface change shape as it makes contact and dries upon the insect body? After all, stipes and caudicles change their angles as they dry.  Are there any publications with SEMs showing how the sticky, fragmenting pollinia of slipper orchids becomes attached to the bodies of pollinators?

      Peter Bernhardt