New Feature: BIMLBee Fauna Archives - Recruiting Published and Unpublished Bee Faunas

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2011

      Last week Mike Arduser sent me a lovely bee fauna from Northern Ohio:

      Arduser, M.  2011.  Bees (Hymenoptera: Apoidea) of the Kitty Todd Preserve, Lucas County, Ohio.  The Great Lakes Naturalist Entomologist 43:1-4.

      and this inspired us to create a repository for published and unpublished bee faunas for the beemonitoring group.

      ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laurel/Droege/Literature/Faunas/

      If one removes oneself from the necessity of publishing what are considered by the outside world to be high value papers and takes a look at what of papers retain long-term value you will see that research papers fade into the background over time and citations gradually decrease as other research expands upon our ideas....until, rather quickly in the quantum of time, they are realistically no longer cited at all.  But, works of taxonomy and, in particular, faunas have a different trajectory.  A good taxonomic paper has long-term traction (but still ultimately fades) due to the requirements of other taxonomists to cite your work (if at times only to dismiss it).   Initially many faunas are not widely cited as they are seen to be disconnected from anything but their focal area, but over time they become the sole window into what bee composition and populations were at that point in time and historically these reference points are very few.  The people who publish these faunas retain a historical presence and are therefore the real heroes.

      A Case in Point

      Ask your self this question:  If Thomas Edison had not invented the light bulb and the phonograph but instead had been out collecting bees and publishing his results would that mean that we would still be reading by candle light and listening to live music?  I think not, but I sure would have wanted to have those bee faunas as NO ONE ELSE would have collected them.  (One could argue that we would have jumped straight to the CD player and the LED, but that seems unrealistic)  So, in sum, let me argue that your path to fame is not through research but through the publication of the bees of your backyard, local park, the state, or the country.  No Nobel Prize will come your way, but this is the most valuable thing that you can publish and we want to highlight those publications.

      Given that faunas are usually published in local journals rather than Science or Nature and are thus hard to find we have decided to create the above ftp directory to collect and house there journals.

      At this point the above repository only holds Mike's paper, but we are requesting that you have pdf versions of faunas from anywhere in the world we will add them to this site.  Given that this ftp site is not publically available except through this listserv we consider this to be a fair use of published material, but if you are uncomfortable with that we can just direct people to your email for a copy.

      PDF or Word Versions are fine.

      File Wording protocol

      Year Published ||| First Author's Last Name ||| Country ||| State or Region ||| Locality

      Mike's paper is therefore:

      2011 Aruduser USA Ohio Kitty Todd Preserve

      In BIML updates we will announce all the new faunas that go into the repository.

      Send away

      Thanks

      THE FORCE THAT THROUGH THE GREEN FUSE DRIVES THE FLOWER

      The force that through the green fuse drives the flower
      Drives my green age; that blasts the roots of trees
      Is my destroyer.
      And I am dumb to tell the crooked rose
      My youth is bent by the same wintry fever.

      The force that drives the water through the rocks
      Drives my red blood; that dries the mouthing streams
      Turns mine to wax.
      And I am dumb to mouth unto my veins
      How at the mountain spring the same mouth sucks.

      The hand that whirls the water in the pool
      Stirs the quicksand; that ropes the blowing wind
      Hauls my shroud sail.
      And I am dumb to tell the hanging man
      How of my clay is made the hangman's lime.

      The lips of time leech to the fountain head;
      Love drips and gathers, but the fallen blood
      Shall calm her sores.
      And I am dumb to tell a weather's wind
      How time has ticked a heaven round the stars.

      And I am dumb to tell the lover's tomb
      How at my sheet goes the same crooked worm.
         - Dylan Thomas

      P Bees are not optional.