New Key to the bee genera of Eastern Canada

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007

      Laurence Packer's group has put out a very nice guide to the bees of Eastern Canada, including lots of pictures and accounts for each genus.  It is available as a pdf and as an online key. This should be in the arsenal of everyone who has to identify bees in eastern North America.

      http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/bsc/ejournal/pgs_03/pgs_03_key.html

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      Go to your fields and your gardens, and you shall learn
      that it is the pleasure of the bee to gather honey of the flower,
      But it is also the pleasure of the flower
      to yield its honey to the bee.
      For to the bee a flower is a fountain of life
      And to the flower a bee is a messenger of love,
      And to both, bee and flower, the giving and receiving of pleasure
      is a need and an ecstasy.

      The Prophet
      Kahlil Gibran

    • David_r_smith@fws.gov
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007

        No comment from those of us in western North America

        Dave Smith
        U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
        323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
        Flagstaff, AZ  86001
        (928) 226-0614 x 109
        "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction"  Dave Rosgen
      • kimberly huntzinger
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
          Dave Smith and other westerners,

          Slowly but surely the western guides are being built one genus at a time.  I would love to have you try them out and give me feedback.:)

          Kim Huntzinger
          eTaxonomist
          Western Bee Guide Developer - DiscoverLife.org
          kimberly_huntzinger@...

          To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
              I would be interested in western keys too. Karen

              On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, David Inouye wrote:

              > Which genera are available now?
              >
              > At 12:02 PM 10/3/2007, you wrote:
              >
              > Dave Smith and other westerners,
              >
              > Slowly but surely the western guides are being built one
              > genus at a time. I would love to have you try them out and
              > give me feedback.:)
              >
              > Kim Huntzinger
              > eTaxonomist
              > Western Bee Guide Developer - DiscoverLife.org
              > kimberly_huntzinger@...

              > To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
              > From: David_r_smith@...
              > Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:49:27 -0600
              > Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] New Key to the bee genera
              > of Eastern Canada
              >

              > No comment from those of us in western North America
              >
              > Dave Smith
              > U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
              > 323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
              > Flagstaff, AZ 86001
              > (928) 226-0614 x 109
              > "Field data is the best cure for a precarious
              > prediction" Dave Rosgen

              > Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together
              > at last. Get it now!

            • kimberly huntzinger
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                Current Discover Life bee guides for North America north of Mexico (Sam, please correct this list if I missed something):
                Agapostemon (male/female)
                Halictus (male/female)
                Andrena (male) -draft
                Andrena (female) -draft
                and
                Bumblebees & Mimics guide

                These guides can be found at www.discoverlife.org.  Click on the little Bee icon for a quick link to the bee guides (then scroll down to the Species Guides heading).

                Guides in the works (contact me to access these three guides below):
                Ceratina (male)
                Ceratina (female)
                Ashmeadiella (female)

                Thanks for the interest.
                Kim Huntzinger
                kimberly_huntzinger@...

                To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                From: karen@...
                Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 18:21:32 -0600

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007

                  On October 18th from 9:00a.m. to 9:00p.m.  the USGS Native Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab in Beltsville, Maryland will be open to anyone who would like to visit and work on native bees, learn bee identification, or identify their specimens.

                  We can provide a place to stay for people who are coming from out of town.

                  Directions to the lab follow:

                  Directions to the  USGS Native Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab

                  Sam Droege's Work Number:  301 497 5840
                                      Home Number:  301 390 7759

                  Directions from the intersection of the Washinton Beltway (495) and the Baltimore Washington Parkway (295).

                  Travel NORTH outside of the Beltway towards Baltimore on 295.

                  In approximately 5 miles and about 3 exits you will come to an exit for Powdermill Road

                  Take the single exit ramp to Powdermill Road and turn LEFT

                  (NOTE:  The  main campus and the visitor's center for Patuxent Wildlife Research Center is to the Right, but our lab is located on Beltsville Agriculture Research Center property and therefore you must turn LEFT towards Beltsville)

                  Travel about 1.5 miles.

                  On your right you will see Entomology Road, this is a marker that your turn is coming soon.

                  Take the next right onto Center Road.

                  Travel to the last lab building on the left (there are no lab buildings on the right).

                  This will be building 308 which is very clearly marked.

                  Park in the parking lot out front.

                  At the door hit the button on the black box, wait for a reply, and then tell them you are here to visit me and they will let you in.

                  Alternatively, if someone is going in or out you can go directly in.

                  I am  in room 124.

                  Door's usually open.

                  sam

                  Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

                  From Field Work

                  Not the mud slick,
                  not the black weedy water
                  full of alder cones and pock-marked leaves.

                  Not the cow parsley in winter
                  with its old whitened shins and wrists, its sibilance, its shaking.

                  Not even the tart green shade of summer thick with butterflies
                  and fungus plump as a leather saddle.

                  No. But in a still corner,
                  braced to its pebble-dashed wall,
                  heavy, earth-drawn, all mouth and eye,

                  the sunflower, dreaming umber.
                  -Seamus Heaney

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007

                    Rebekah Nelson's lovely line drawings of bee body parts are now online at the Discoverlife bee page:

                    http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?search=Apoidea

                    sam

                    Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

                    In nature's infinite book of secrecy
                    A little I can read
                    Antony and Cleopatra - Shakespeare

                  • Marie Springer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                      hmmm that wasn't exactly a line drawing.  big whoops!

                      All:

                      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
                      Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

                      In nature's infinite book of secrecy
                      A little I can read
                      Antony and Cleopatra - Shakespeare

                      Marie Springer, President
                      Friends of Wallkill River
                      National Wildlife Refuges
                      1547 Route 565, Sussex, NJ 07461

                    • Leo Shapiro
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                        Beautiful drawings--a superb supplement to the keys!

                        Leo

                        At 05:29 PM 10/4/2007, you wrote:

                        All:

                        Rebekah Nelson's lovely line drawings of bee body parts are now online at the Discoverlife bee page:

                        http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?search=Apoidea

                        sam

                        Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

                        In nature's infinite book of secrecy