Displaying Insects in Hand Sanitizer - Great for Displays

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2011

      Based on a chance encounter with my old High School friend, Wayne White, who had, in his pocket, a vial of all the life stages of bedbugs floating in what appeared to be air, the BIML lab interns have expanded upon Wayne's companies' idea and created a slide presentation on how to display insects in hand sanitizer.

      I have to admit we all have been having too much fun with this, but it does create easy to make displays of insect specimens that can be handled by kids or given out to funders.

      Any type of hand sanitizer appears to work, but some are colored which may or may not be useful to you.

      We have ordered the gelling chemicals and will be doing some additional experiments in the future with gelling propylene glycol, Aqvavit, and store bought alcohol and will report on those experiments.

      http://www.slideshare.net/sdroege/how-preserve-insect-specimens-in-hand-sanitizer

      Have fun.

      Also great for Valentines Day.

      Bee Song