Squeeze boxes for insects

  • Karen Sprague
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 2, 2011
      Hello all,

      If you are a member of the inverts in captivity group, please excuse the cross-posting... For everyone else, I am (hopefully) starting a native bee conservation project that will involve photographing each species I find. I would like to restrain the bees in a small acrylic box so that I can take detailed dorsal and ventral pictures for ID without harming them. Does such a squeeze box-type device already exist for insects? If not, does anyone have any design suggestions? I would appreciate any ideas!

      Thank you,

      Karen Sprague
      Herpetology Dept.
      Houston Zoo, Inc.
      Houston, TX
      713-533-6655
      ksprague@...
    • Doug Yanega
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 2, 2011
        >If you are a member of the inverts in captivity group, please excuse
        >the cross-posting... For everyone else, I am (hopefully) starting a
        >native bee conservation project that will involve photographing each
        >species I find. I would like to restrain the bees in a small acrylic
        >box so that I can take detailed dorsal and ventral pictures for ID
        >without harming them. Does such a squeeze box-type device already
        >exist for insects? If not, does anyone have any design suggestions?
        >I would appreciate any ideas!

        Karen - Why do you think it necessary to have ventral views? I can't
        imagine very many species for which a ventral photograph is going to
        be essential for diagnosis, especially if the photos are intended for
        use in field IDs and the specimens will not be captured and placed in
        a squeeze box when IDs are made. Why would a dorsal and/or lateral
        photo, taken of a bee held in the fingers, not be sufficient? And
        yes, most bees can be held in the fingers without either you or the
        bee taking any damage - though for females of larger species, gloves
        might help. ;-)

      • david almquist
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 2, 2011
          There are instructions here
          http://bugguide.net/node/view/244423
          for something like you describe, although the intent was for aquatic insects. I also remember someone showing me some optically clear, square-sided vials awhile back that had some special use that I can't remember which might be perfect for what you're describing. They were trying to figure out how to store specimens in them so that the specimens could be photographed through the sides of the vial because they supposedly had no distortion. Sorry I can't be of more help, but if I figure out what those vials were used for, I'll let you know, or maybe this will jog someone's memory.

          ________________________________

        • pmiller451@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 2, 2011
            Try this website:

            .....tells how to immobilize and then scan flat images of live dragonflies....

            Penny Miller
            Oglebay Zoo
            Whg, WV

            In a message dated 2/2/2011 4:45:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, panulirus@... writes:

            Hello all,

            If you are a member of the inverts in captivity group, please excuse the cross-posting... For everyone else, I am (hopefully) starting a native bee conservation project that will involve photographing each species I find. I would like to restrain the bees in a small acrylic box so that I can take detailed dorsal and ventral pictures for ID without harming them. Does such a squeeze box-type device already exist for insects? If not, does anyone have any design suggestions? I would appreciate any ideas!

            Thank you,

            Karen Sprague
            Herpetology Dept.
            Houston Zoo, Inc.
            Houston, TX
            713-533-6655

            ksprague@...

          • David Inouye
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 2, 2011
              James Thomson designed a "bee squeezer" that he use to restrain bees to mark them with paint or tags.  It consisted of two vials, one that just fit inside the other.  The inner one had a sponge glued to the bottom, and it pushed the bee up against the bottom of the outer vial, which had the bottom removed and replaced with a piece of mesh, through which the bee could be marked.  Something similar, but with a clear bottom on the outer vial, might work.

              David Inouye

            • David_r_smith@fws.gov
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 3, 2011

                Not to sound pessimistic, but how do you intend to accurately ID live bees in hand or in a plastic squeeze box.  Unless you are able to immobilize them and have one heck of a macro lens, how will key characters needed to ID even to genus be legible, much less suitable to ID to the species level?

                Would such photographic documentation meet the necessary standard to document a species presence?  In one endangered bird survey, southwestern willow flycatcher, the biologist must hear the birds distinct call before it presence can be documented in a area.  Empidonax flycatchers can't reliably be ID'd simply by sight.  Given the color variations we see in Bombus specimens, would this even work for such a large bee?

                Dave Smith
                U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
                323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
                Flagstaff, AZ  86001
                (928) 226-0614 x 109
                "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction"  Dave Rosgen
              • Karen Sprague
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 3, 2011
                  Hello all,

                  Thank you to everyone who has replied, your input is much appreciated.  Let me give a little background on my proposed project and myself...  I am an aquatic biologist (though I work with herps at the moment), my specialty is aquatic arthropod and cephalopod husbandry.  My hobby is insect-watching and as of late I have become very interested in pollinators, namely solitary bees.  According to the experts I've spoken with here in Texas, there has not been much research done in the Houston area regarding what species are present.

                  If my project is accepted, I will survey four gardens on Zoo grounds for bees.   I'm hoping that thoroughly documenting the species I find with pictures may help entomologists identify the bees at least to genus.  Although many of you may frown on this, I am not interested in collecting any specimens for ID.  What I am interested in is getting our Zoo guests excited about gardening for wildlife, which would create more bee habitat in this incredibly over-developed city, lessen pesticide use and maybe drum up a little respect for insects.  Our Zoo does not have an insect house, so this is the best project I could come up with for a small amount of grant money.

                  The photos taken will be available for all to see (at some point) so interested parties can see what bees they might encounter in their yards.  I realize that ID to family or genus level only may not be of use to the scientific community, but maybe someone out there will be inclined to do a "real" survey after seeing what we have here.  So once again, I thank you all for the expertise and welcome any suggestions - it's great to learn so much after being a group member for less than 24 hours!

                  Karen Sprague
                  Houston Zoo

                • karen@sevilleta.unm.edu
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 3, 2011
                    If you put them in the freezer for a few minutes, you can slow them down
                    without killing them. You can then put them on a flower and they will
                    take a while to get moving again. Cheers, Karen

                  • Pierre Martineau
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 3, 2011
                      Hi Karen,

                      Karen's proposed freezer solution is very quick and efficient, but you incur a high risk of accidentally killing the bee if you leave it for too long (too long may be a matter of a few minutes). If you have more time at hand, you may want to put the bee in a fridge to cool it down to ~ 2 to 4 degrees (Celcius) instead. Fifteen to 30min are usually sufficient (how long really depends on the size of the bee and how much air there is in the container that holds the bee), and the bee will most likely be still alive if you leave it accidentally overnight.

                      Pierre
                      ----------
                      Pierre Martineau
                      pierrem at stanford dot edu

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 3, 2011
                        You people are a wealth of information!!!  Thank you so much for all your help - I'm sure I'll have many more questions along the way...

                        Karen  Sprague
                        Houston Zoo

                      • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 7, 2011

                          All,

                          Does anyone have an electronic copy of Southwick’s original “lucky hits” paper (J. Biol. Comp. Physiol. Ecol. Vol 7,  1982?

                          Thanks!

                          Barb

                          Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

                          Associate Professor

                          SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor

                          Department of Biological Sciences

                          Hampton University

                          Hampton, VA  23668

                          757-727-5283

                          barbara.abraham@...

                        • T'ai Roulston
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
                            Bee Nest Afficionados:

                            I received this photo today from someone who attended a bee talk I gave. The photo was taken in northern Virginia May 10, 2006 and the nest cells were between two pieces of siding. I presume the yellow is pollen and these are bee cells, but I've never seen a nest structure like this. The top is all mud.

                            Does this look familiar to anyone?

                            T'ai

                            T'ai Roulston
                            Curator, State Arboretum of Virginia
                            Research Assoc. Prof., Dept of Envi. Sci.
                            University of Virginia

                          • Eric Mader
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
                              Hi T'ai,

                              This looks exactly like the nests my Osmia (both lignaria and cornifrons) commonly produce when tunnel-like cavities are not available. This is very very familiar!

                              Cheers!

                              -Eric

                              On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:09 PM, T'ai Roulston <thr8z@...> wrote:
                              Bee Nest Afficionados:

                              I received this photo today from someone who attended a bee talk I gave. The photo was taken in northern Virginia May 10, 2006 and the nest cells were between two pieces of siding. I presume the yellow is pollen and these are bee cells, but I've never seen a nest structure like this. The top is all mud.

                              Does this look familiar to anyone?

                              T'ai

                              T'ai Roulston
                              Curator, State Arboretum of Virginia
                              Research Assoc. Prof., Dept of Envi. Sci.
                              University of Virginia

                              Eric Mader
                              Assistant Pollinator Program Director
                                  The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
                              Assistant Professor of Extension
                                  University of Minnesota, Department of Entomology

                              The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
                              1971 – 2011: Forty Years of Conservation!

                              4828 SE Hawthorne Blvd., Portland, OR 97215, USA
                              eric@...
                              Tel: (503) 232-6639
                              Toll free: 1-855-232-6639
                              Cell: (503) 989-3649
                              Skype: eric_mader_xerces_society
                              (日本語でどうぞ)

                              Find all the information you need to conserve pollinator habitat at: www.xerces.org/pollinator-resource-center/

                              The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation is an international nonprofit organization that protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their habitat.

                              To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our work, please visit www.xerces.org.

                              NEW BOOK NOW AVAILABLE:
                              Attracting Native Pollinators. Protecting North America’s Bees and Butterflies
                            • Dave Hunter
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011

                                I agree with Eric.  You’re probably looking at 3 different Osmia (same species) results.

                                However, what is interesting is that you have 3 different types of wall building.  Complete mud encasement, reworking all walls (double walls) on the lower left, and mostly single walls on the right.  Different mud in each case.  …and different pollen source between lower left and right.

                                Dave Hunter

                                O. 425.949.7954

                                C. 206.851.1263

                                www.crownbees.com

                                 Click below to hear the buzz!

                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
                                  Although they are not typical, Osmia lignaria occasionally make nests like that in larger cavities. They usually do a better job with cell symmetry than that though.  The pale, dusty pollen could be oak or some other anemophilous thing.

                                  best

                                  Jack

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 9, 2011
                                    Hi Jil,

                                    I think the color variation in the mud is just a matter of the
                                    different patches of soil where the mother bee(s) collected mud
                                    (variations in clay content, minerals, etc.). The yellow is obviously
                                    pollen.

                                    I am guessing that all of the cells were provisioned and capped, but
                                    the open/empty ones on the bottom are the result of the photographer
                                    lifting away the covering surface (maybe a stone or a brick, or
                                    something), and probably dislodging the provisions (making them appear
                                    empty).

                                    T'ai can probably clarify the circumstances under which he found this.

                                    Cheers!

                                    -Eric

                                  • Sandra_Lary@fws.gov
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 9, 2011

                                      Interesting native bee article:

                                      http://www.gardendesign.com/yellow/bee-season?cmpid=enews030811

                                      Sandra

                                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                      Sandra J. Lary, Senior Fish & Wildlife Biologist
                                      U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

                                      Ecological Services-Coastal Program
                                      4R Fundy Rd, Falmouth ME 04105

                                      207-781-8364, ext. 19

                                    • Charley Eiseman
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 10, 2011
                                        Hi Eric (and other bee nest aficionados),

                                        I'm curious to hear how you would rule out the possibility that the closed cells in the top row were made by spider wasps (Auplopus or Phanagenia)--if, for instance, they had not been found in association with these obviously pollen-filled cells.  The examples of pompilid nests I have seen tend to have smoother walls and not be so neatly arranged, but I don't know if this is always the case.  Is this very lumpy appearance, with each individual mud pellet visible, typical of Osmia nests?

                                        Thanks,

                                        Charley Eiseman

                                        www.NorthernNaturalists.com