Fw: [beemonitoring] Radish flowers and bee - question

  • Charles Guevara
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 26, 2011

      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: Charles Guevara <icecilliate123@...>
      To: Maria Van Dyke <mtv4h@...>
      Sent: Tue, January 25, 2011 8:01:19 PM
      Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Radish flowers and bee - question

         Hello , hennetjie, I had various bee ( never noticed wasps being so effected, yet plenty of wasps also visited the flowers) species which stayed in place on wild pepermint plants very near the purple flowers.  You could gently nudge these lethargic bees with your finger...they would move a little, but not fly away.  This especially occurred with bumble bee species.  This was all summer, NY/NJ border region...noticed this for several summers.

         The backgarden wild pepermint plants attracted all sorts of wasps, bees, and a few types of flies.  Between the purple flowers of the wild pepermint plants, and the six to seven foot tall fennel plants in flower, my back garden was a very busy airport for pollinators.

         The lethargic bees would eventually leave the garden...it only occurred with the purple wild pepermint flowers in my NY/NJ border region garden.

         charlie guevara, fingerlakes/US