Re: [beemonitoring] Open Lab at Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab, Beltsville, MD - Sept. 19th

  • Karen Wetherill
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30, 2007
      Dave, I have been working on bees in New Mexico. Our ranges probably
      overlap quite a bit. I am working out of the Sevilleta. So far I have a
      local key to morpho types of Dialictus and am working on a local key for
      Anthophora. I have also gotten Melissodes to morphotype. All with the
      help of Terry Griswold et al. I am up to over 150 species just from the
      Sevilleta. I would love more material from the Chihuahuan especially
      within New Mexico. If you ever get over to Albuquerque, I would like to
      see what you have. Karen Wetherill

      On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 David_r_smith@... wrote:

      > Sam,
      >
      > I will be helping teach a course at the FWS NCTC in Shepherdstown that
      > week and can possibly sneak away in the afternoon. I might take you up on
      > staying at the house that night.
      >
      > When are you going to develop a bee ID class for the NCTC. There is an
      > excellent aquatic insect class I took a few years ago. I haven't stopped
      > keying insects since.
      >
      > Most important, when are you going to develop species keys for western
      > bees. I am actively collecting them. I set pan traps when I go in the
      > field then check them on my return, just like a rodent snaptrapline
      > without having to worry about pinched fingers in traps.
      >
      > Talk to you later,
      >
      > Dave Smith
      > U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
      > 323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
      > Flagstaff, AZ 86001
      > (928) 226-0614 x 109
      > "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction" Dave Rosgen
    • Bev Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 14, 2007

        Sam, Jim Mulrooney, jmulrooney@..., and I were talking last night.  I am totally swamped trying to finish my thesis by Dec. and work 8-10 hours a day.  But....when this is behind me, and I have some papers on state records, annonated checklist, etc., then he and I want to start something here at the Refuge on beemonitoring.  We will be in touch, but it will most likely not happen until late summer '08.  I do not have time to respond to any of the messages, but a lot of good stuff out there!!  How I wish I could come to your workshop on the 19th!!!  I have very few of my Las. (Dic.) species ided simply because I could not find anyone at the time to help me with them.  I have several species that Drs. Mike Engel and C. Michener and I worked on one summer in Kansas, but I have tons that unidentified.  I am not even sure as to how I am going to handle that many in my thesis at this point.  Well, I do not mean to take up your time, I just wanted to let you know that we do plan on doing something here in MS.  Have a great day and weekend.  Bev

        More photos; more messages; more whatever. Windows Live Hotmail - NOW with 5GB storage.