Re: [beemonitoring] Open Lab at Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab, Beltsville, MD - Sept. 19th

  • David_r_smith@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30 9:31 AM

      Sam,

      I will be helping teach a course at the FWS NCTC in Shepherdstown that week and can possibly sneak away in the afternoon.  I might take you up on staying at the house that night.

      When are you going to develop a bee ID class for the NCTC.  There is an excellent aquatic insect class I took a few years ago.  I haven't stopped keying insects since.

      Most important, when are you going to develop species keys for western bees.  I am actively collecting them.  I set pan traps when I go in the field then check them on my return, just like a rodent snaptrapline without having to worry about pinched fingers in traps.

      Talk to you later,

      Dave Smith
      U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
      323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
      Flagstaff, AZ  86001
      (928) 226-0614 x 109
      "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction"  Dave Rosgen
    • Karen Wetherill
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 30 9:49 AM
        Dave, I have been working on bees in New Mexico. Our ranges probably
        overlap quite a bit. I am working out of the Sevilleta. So far I have a
        local key to morpho types of Dialictus and am working on a local key for
        Anthophora. I have also gotten Melissodes to morphotype. All with the
        help of Terry Griswold et al. I am up to over 150 species just from the
        Sevilleta. I would love more material from the Chihuahuan especially
        within New Mexico. If you ever get over to Albuquerque, I would like to
        see what you have. Karen Wetherill

        On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 David_r_smith@... wrote:

        > Sam,
        >
        > I will be helping teach a course at the FWS NCTC in Shepherdstown that
        > week and can possibly sneak away in the afternoon. I might take you up on
        > staying at the house that night.
        >
        > When are you going to develop a bee ID class for the NCTC. There is an
        > excellent aquatic insect class I took a few years ago. I haven't stopped
        > keying insects since.
        >
        > Most important, when are you going to develop species keys for western
        > bees. I am actively collecting them. I set pan traps when I go in the
        > field then check them on my return, just like a rodent snaptrapline
        > without having to worry about pinched fingers in traps.
        >
        > Talk to you later,
        >
        > Dave Smith
        > U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
        > 323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
        > Flagstaff, AZ 86001
        > (928) 226-0614 x 109
        > "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction" Dave Rosgen
      • Bev Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 14, 2007

          Sam, Jim Mulrooney, jmulrooney@..., and I were talking last night.  I am totally swamped trying to finish my thesis by Dec. and work 8-10 hours a day.  But....when this is behind me, and I have some papers on state records, annonated checklist, etc., then he and I want to start something here at the Refuge on beemonitoring.  We will be in touch, but it will most likely not happen until late summer '08.  I do not have time to respond to any of the messages, but a lot of good stuff out there!!  How I wish I could come to your workshop on the 19th!!!  I have very few of my Las. (Dic.) species ided simply because I could not find anyone at the time to help me with them.  I have several species that Drs. Mike Engel and C. Michener and I worked on one summer in Kansas, but I have tons that unidentified.  I am not even sure as to how I am going to handle that many in my thesis at this point.  Well, I do not mean to take up your time, I just wanted to let you know that we do plan on doing something here in MS.  Have a great day and weekend.  Bev

          More photos; more messages; more whatever. Windows Live Hotmail - NOW with 5GB storage.