Fw: Pollinator Wiki (Was: 20 Common Bee Species in Pennsylvania)

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2010

      Posted for Dave Green....Pollinator@...

      I like this idea, and it fits like a glove with a project that I will be working on this winter.

      I am trying to build a pollinator wiki - a photo and info database on pollinators (bees emphasized at first) that can be edited in a collaborative fashion by approved persons (not just anyone, as Wikipedia, more like Citizendium, which prevents junk and vandalism by having some qualifications required for editors).

      I already have a huge quantity of photographs, and a little video which can be used.

      I have not linked the site address publicly yet, because I don't want the search engines to list it until it is further developed. One advantage we have for this project is that we are likely to have almost instant high rankings in search engines.

      I am particulary hopeful that someone with more software expertise than myself will help me with one roadblock. The wikimedia software is already set up for creative commons licensing of all work. I wish to have photographers keep copyrights to their photos and video clips.

      My policy on my own photos and video is to allow free use for non-profit educational use, but require some payment for commercial use.
      Alas, setup of this change in the software seems to be slowing my progress.

      I will privately give the address to anyone requesting access to the pilot, and if you would like to be an editor, let me know, but please do not release this address in any public link until we are ready.

      Dave Green