Bumblebee virus and international traffic

  • pollinator2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2010
      On the honeybee list there is a report by a Chilean beekeeper of an importation of apparently sick (parallyzed) bumblebees imported from Israel and their use where they could freely move out of the greenhouses.

      This surprised me, as I thought international traffic of bumblebees had been ended.

      The beekeeper reporting the incident suspected a virus was responsible. He's an extremely aware honey bee keeper, though not a bumblebee expert.

      For non-members of the beekeeping list, who would like to keep tabs on this development, the archives have this story available at:
      http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A2=ind1012&L=BEE-L&F=&S=&P=292823

      Dave Green
      Coastal SC