Re: [beemonitoring] Open Lab at Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab, Beltsville, MD - Sept. 19th

  • C. Vispo
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2007
      Thanks Sam,

      I don't think we'll make it for the 19th, but we have had a relatively good collecting year, and Martin has been working away on ID's. (Always painfully slow at the beginning, at least for me). We do hope to come down a bit later in the year, once we have worked through our specimens further. The prospect of having a place to stay is very, very helpful.

      Conrad.
    • Michael Feil
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 30, 2007
        Sam open lab sound good but I will be on travel.  Caroline and I or off to Turkey and a few days in Brussels.

        Mike Feil
        getmikie@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 30, 2007

          Sam,

          Put me on the list for the 19th.  I can work on some of the harder Assateague bees that I got this year.

          Richard Orr

          Mid-Atlantic Invertebrate Field Studies

          5215 Durham Rd - East

          Columbia, MD 21044

          odonata457@...

          www.marylandinsects.com

          My lab will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on September 19th to anyone who wants to identify specimens of bees (from eastern North America ) or learn to identify bees.  Please send me an email or call me if you are coming so I can track the number of people who will be here.  I will be available during that whole time to help with id's and the identification process.

          I am going to try to have an open lab at least once a month through the school year as well as 2 week long bee identification workshops... ..to be announced later.

          If you are coming from out of town you can stay at our house the night before and after.

          Directions to the lab are below.

          sam

          Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
          BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville , MD   20705

        • David_r_smith@fws.gov
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 30, 2007

            Sam,

            I will be helping teach a course at the FWS NCTC in Shepherdstown that week and can possibly sneak away in the afternoon.  I might take you up on staying at the house that night.

            When are you going to develop a bee ID class for the NCTC.  There is an excellent aquatic insect class I took a few years ago.  I haven't stopped keying insects since.

            Most important, when are you going to develop species keys for western bees.  I am actively collecting them.  I set pan traps when I go in the field then check them on my return, just like a rodent snaptrapline without having to worry about pinched fingers in traps.

            Talk to you later,

            Dave Smith
            U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
            323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
            Flagstaff, AZ  86001
            (928) 226-0614 x 109
            "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction"  Dave Rosgen
          • Karen Wetherill
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 30, 2007
              Dave, I have been working on bees in New Mexico. Our ranges probably
              overlap quite a bit. I am working out of the Sevilleta. So far I have a
              local key to morpho types of Dialictus and am working on a local key for
              Anthophora. I have also gotten Melissodes to morphotype. All with the
              help of Terry Griswold et al. I am up to over 150 species just from the
              Sevilleta. I would love more material from the Chihuahuan especially
              within New Mexico. If you ever get over to Albuquerque, I would like to
              see what you have. Karen Wetherill

              On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 David_r_smith@... wrote:

              > Sam,
              >
              > I will be helping teach a course at the FWS NCTC in Shepherdstown that
              > week and can possibly sneak away in the afternoon. I might take you up on
              > staying at the house that night.
              >
              > When are you going to develop a bee ID class for the NCTC. There is an
              > excellent aquatic insect class I took a few years ago. I haven't stopped
              > keying insects since.
              >
              > Most important, when are you going to develop species keys for western
              > bees. I am actively collecting them. I set pan traps when I go in the
              > field then check them on my return, just like a rodent snaptrapline
              > without having to worry about pinched fingers in traps.
              >
              > Talk to you later,
              >
              > Dave Smith
              > U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
              > 323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
              > Flagstaff, AZ 86001
              > (928) 226-0614 x 109
              > "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction" Dave Rosgen
            • Bev Smith
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 14, 2007

                Sam, Jim Mulrooney, jmulrooney@..., and I were talking last night.  I am totally swamped trying to finish my thesis by Dec. and work 8-10 hours a day.  But....when this is behind me, and I have some papers on state records, annonated checklist, etc., then he and I want to start something here at the Refuge on beemonitoring.  We will be in touch, but it will most likely not happen until late summer '08.  I do not have time to respond to any of the messages, but a lot of good stuff out there!!  How I wish I could come to your workshop on the 19th!!!  I have very few of my Las. (Dic.) species ided simply because I could not find anyone at the time to help me with them.  I have several species that Drs. Mike Engel and C. Michener and I worked on one summer in Kansas, but I have tons that unidentified.  I am not even sure as to how I am going to handle that many in my thesis at this point.  Well, I do not mean to take up your time, I just wanted to let you know that we do plan on doing something here in MS.  Have a great day and weekend.  Bev

                More photos; more messages; more whatever. Windows Live Hotmail - NOW with 5GB storage.