Milliron Reprints Gone

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2010

      Posted for Jon Gelhaus...!

      Sam - can you post this also:

      Bumblebee Research Community:

      WOW!  I had 126 requests as this morning for our limited number of Milliron Monograph sets. [ I guess I would make a bad businessman estimating the demand for a product.]  That said, we are happy here to get these to those who can best use them.  But please no more requests.  I will fulfill the sets to those I can.  Please don't expect a reply as I will not be looking at all the emails.  But what an incredibly responsive  research community you folks are!

      The Academy of Natural Science's collection has 126 drawers of bumblebees (plus approximately 14 drawers worth of specimens from a recent accession of Ted Stiles collection).  It is primarily New World in emphasis and dates back to some of the earliest North America bee researchers, such as E. T. Cresson, donations such as Milliron's collection, and  all the way to recent surveys in the New Jersey Pine Barrens and Mongolia (to name two disparate locations).  Our primary type database lists 39 Bombus, authored by Cresson and Franklin.  So please keep us in mind when you have need to study Bombus.  Inquiries about the collection should go to our collection manager, Mr. Jason Weintraub (weintraub@...).  There is a short term research fellowship program (2-12 weeks) for graduate students and recent graduates to come and use the collection (see   http://www.ansp.org/research/opportunities/jessup_mchenry.php ).  Next deadline is March 1 and entails a one page   research proposal and application form.

      We are just starting a major renovation of the collection, including new cabinets and storage system, and updated curation.  We don't expect that the Hymenoptera collection will be inaccessible for long periods, but perhaps for short periods.  So let us know your needs for loans or visits as soon as you can.

      Best wishes in your research on bumblebees!

      Jon Gelhaus

      --
      Jon K. Gelhaus, Ph.D.
      Curator of Entomology

      gelhaus@...; gelhaus@...

      web:
      http://clade.acnatsci.org/gelhaus
      Mongolian Aquatic Insect Survey:

      http://clade.acnatsci.org/mongolia
      Undergraduate Research:

      http://www.ansp.org/research/opportunities/reu.php
      Turfgrass Crane Fly Pests Identification (in development)

      http://paul.rhine.googlepages.com/craneflyguide
      Historic Peale Collection:

      http://clade.ansp.org/entomology/collections/peale/index.html