Re: Best and most comprehensive article on CCD yet

  • pollinator2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2010

      Because it was a private e-mail, I cannot post the comments here, but perhaps I was not sufficiently specific in my statement, so I will post my response, for clarification:

      I've found that anyone who works in a public job (research, extension) is highly reluctant to take on pesticide misuse (job security perhaps?). And the pesticide cops here in SC, very pointedly exclude wild bees from pesticide label protection.

      On the other hand, beekeepers like myself have been active and vocal in trying to get enforcement of label directions. The label "run-around" that is often recommended (ie. notify beekeepers) offers NO protection at all for wild bees.

      Moreover, hives that had damage usually got our best efforts at recovery, including feeding, removal of contaminated frames of pollen, and sometimes combining two or more hives - better one hive surviving than two or more weak ones dying over the winter.

      I am sure you understand that I am glad that wild bees are getting more attention, and thus may be getting more protection. But all it takes is one severe "hit" at the wrong time to do some serious damage to a species in the area. And I think you'll agree that it's easier (albeit expensive) to replace lost honeybees than to replace lost wild bees.

      Thanks for your comments.

      Dave
      Retired pollination contractor