Re: [Pollinator] [beemonitoring] Apis nearctica [1 Attachment]

  • John S. Ascher
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2010
      Actually one specimen is all it takes to rewrite the history of Apis in
      the new World.

      Many of our most interesting fossils are known from unique specimens and
      have rewritten evolutionary history.

      A single positive datapoint overrules all previous evidence of absence.

      For this reason it is often unwise to declare insects extinct:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_9008000/9008585.stm

      John

      --
      John S. Ascher, Ph.D.