Apis nearctica

  • Sandra_Lary@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2010

    Could the beemon or pollinator groups respond to whether this 2009 paper changes the previously held belief that there was/is no native honey bee to North America?

    Thank you for any feedback, thoughts, etc.

    Sandra

    Sandra J. Lary, Senior F&W Biologist
    USFWS-Ecological Services
    Gulf of Maine Coastal Program
    Falmouth Maine
    207-781-8364, ext. 19

  • John S. Ascher
    Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2010
      It depends on what the meaning of the words "was/is" is and also on the
      meaning of "North America."

      The paper in question describes a native true (Apis) honey bee in what is
      now Nevada in the Middle Miocene, but there is no evidence that these
      persisted into the Pliocene much less the Pleistocene, so there was likely
      a very long period of geologic time when there were no Apis in the New
      World during which time our Recent native bee fauna and its floral hosts
      assembled and evolved.

      The authors point out other examples, notably gingkos and horses, of
      organisms found in (native to) North America long ago that then
      disappeared for a very long time subsequent to being introduced by humans.

      There are native stingless honey bees in southern North America, i.e.
      Mexico and Central America, but these are known from America North of
      Mexico only from an fossils (the famous Cretotrigona prisca from New
      Jersey).

      The Western Honey Bee Apis mellifera must still be considered an exotic
      species in the New World.

      John

      --
      John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
      Bee Database Project Manager
      Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2010

        Because it was a private e-mail, I cannot post the comments here, but perhaps I was not sufficiently specific in my statement, so I will post my response, for clarification:

        I've found that anyone who works in a public job (research, extension) is highly reluctant to take on pesticide misuse (job security perhaps?). And the pesticide cops here in SC, very pointedly exclude wild bees from pesticide label protection.

        On the other hand, beekeepers like myself have been active and vocal in trying to get enforcement of label directions. The label "run-around" that is often recommended (ie. notify beekeepers) offers NO protection at all for wild bees.

        Moreover, hives that had damage usually got our best efforts at recovery, including feeding, removal of contaminated frames of pollen, and sometimes combining two or more hives - better one hive surviving than two or more weak ones dying over the winter.

        I am sure you understand that I am glad that wild bees are getting more attention, and thus may be getting more protection. But all it takes is one severe "hit" at the wrong time to do some serious damage to a species in the area. And I think you'll agree that it's easier (albeit expensive) to replace lost honeybees than to replace lost wild bees.

        Thanks for your comments.

        Dave
        Retired pollination contractor