RE: [beemonitoring] ABIS system for "fingerprinting" bees

  • Wilson, Michael E
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
      Hi Susan,
      That reminded me of some honey bee morphometric work I have heard presentations about. I found this reference in an article.

      Steinhage V., Arbuckle T., Schröder S., Cremers
      A.B., Wittmann D. (2001) ABIS: Automated
      Identification of Bee Species, German
      Programme on Biodiversity and Global Change,
      Status Report 2001, Bonn, pp. 194–195, [online]
      http://www.informatik.uni-bonn.de/projects/ABIS/
      ABIS_publications.html (accessed on 24 October
      2005).

      With the link being broken, it appears it used to link from the bottom of this page

      http://wob.iai.uni-bonn.de/Wob/de/view/class217_id1312.html#class217_id1335

      Hope that helps.
      Michael Wilson
      University of Tennessee

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010

        Susan- ABIS is (was) a sophisticated morphometric digitization and analysis system for identifying bees to species, sometimes even subspecies.  It used angles/lengths/ratios of wing veins and cells fit (collected authomatically in later versions) and automatically chose to fit them to one of 7 (I think) templates, once the system was “trained” on a set of knowns for the genus of interest.  When I last checked, a user-friendly front-end was not available for the software, which was University developed in Germany.  It’s performance would impress if not awe anyone, even a seasoned bee taxonomist.  Last I knew, the software team is now scattered.

        Yours,

        jim

        ===============================

        James H. Cane

        Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

        tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

        email: Jim.Cane@...

        http://www.ars.usda.gov/npa/logan/beelab

        http://www.biology.usu.edu/people/facultyinfo.asp?username=jcane