ABIS system for "fingerprinting" bees

  • Susan Waters
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 4, 2010
      Hello,

      I've just read about a bioinformatics system for identifying bees
      called ABIS. Does anyone know where I can find this software, how to
      get ahold of it, and what it might cost?

      Thank you,

      Susan Waters
    • Wilson, Michael E
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
        Hi Susan,
        That reminded me of some honey bee morphometric work I have heard presentations about. I found this reference in an article.

        Steinhage V., Arbuckle T., Schröder S., Cremers
        A.B., Wittmann D. (2001) ABIS: Automated
        Identification of Bee Species, German
        Programme on Biodiversity and Global Change,
        Status Report 2001, Bonn, pp. 194–195, [online]
        http://www.informatik.uni-bonn.de/projects/ABIS/
        ABIS_publications.html (accessed on 24 October
        2005).

        With the link being broken, it appears it used to link from the bottom of this page

        http://wob.iai.uni-bonn.de/Wob/de/view/class217_id1312.html#class217_id1335

        Hope that helps.
        Michael Wilson
        University of Tennessee

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010

          Susan- ABIS is (was) a sophisticated morphometric digitization and analysis system for identifying bees to species, sometimes even subspecies.  It used angles/lengths/ratios of wing veins and cells fit (collected authomatically in later versions) and automatically chose to fit them to one of 7 (I think) templates, once the system was “trained” on a set of knowns for the genus of interest.  When I last checked, a user-friendly front-end was not available for the software, which was University developed in Germany.  It’s performance would impress if not awe anyone, even a seasoned bee taxonomist.  Last I knew, the software team is now scattered.

          Yours,

          jim

          ===============================

          James H. Cane

          Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

          tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

          email: Jim.Cane@...

          http://www.ars.usda.gov/npa/logan/beelab

          http://www.biology.usu.edu/people/facultyinfo.asp?username=jcane