Open Lab at Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab, Beltsville, MD - Sept. 19th

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2007

      My lab will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on September 19th to anyone who wants to identify specimens of bees (from eastern North America) or learn to identify bees.  Please send me an email or call me if you are coming so I can track the number of people who will be here.  I will be available during that whole time to help with id's and the identification process.

      I am going to try to have an open lab at least once a month through the school year as well as 2 week long bee identification workshops.....to be announced later.

      If you are coming from out of town you can stay at our house the night before and after.

      Directions to the lab are below.

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      Concerning the bees and the flowers
      In the fields and the gardens and bowers,
         You will note at a glace
         That their ways of romance
      Haven't any resemblance to ours.

      Directions to the  USGS Native Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab

      Sam Droege's Work Number:  301 497 5840
                          Home Number:  301 390 7759

      Directions from the intersection of the Washington Beltway (495) and the Baltimore Washington Parkway (295).

      Travel NORTH outside of the Beltway towards Baltimore on 295.

      In approximately 5 miles and about 3 exits you will come to an exit for Powdermill Road

      Take the single exit ramp to Powdermill Road and turn LEFT

      (NOTE:  The  main campus and the visitor's center for Patuxent Wildlife Research Center is to the Right, but our lab is located on Beltsville Agriculture Research Center
       property and therefore you must turn LEFT towards Beltsville)

      Travel about 1.5 miles.

      On your right you will see Entomology Road, this is a marker that your turn is coming soon.

      Take the next right onto Center Road.

      Travel to the last lab building on the left (there are no lab buildings on the right).

      This will be building 308 which is very clearly marked.

      Park in the parking lot out front.

      At the door hit the button on the black box, wait for a reply, and then tell them you are here to visit me and they will let you in.

      Alternatively, if someone is going in or out you can go directly in.

      I am  in room 124.

      Door's usually open.

    • Marie Springer
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 29, 2007
        I want to try to come, It would be nice if I could Drag Dan with me, but I doubt he will make it, I will confirm if I am going
        \also where can I get the bee bowls?
        I want to go ahead and start.
        I am going to use what I can find at the grocery store, what type of soap do I use?

        All:

        Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
        Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

[...]

        Marie Springer, President
        Friends of Wallkill River
        National Wildlife Refuges
        1547 Route 565, Sussex, NJ 07461
        201-660-8880

        Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

      • C. Vispo
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29, 2007
          Thanks Sam,

          I don't think we'll make it for the 19th, but we have had a relatively good collecting year, and Martin has been working away on ID's. (Always painfully slow at the beginning, at least for me). We do hope to come down a bit later in the year, once we have worked through our specimens further. The prospect of having a place to stay is very, very helpful.

          Conrad.
        • Michael Feil
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 30, 2007
            Sam open lab sound good but I will be on travel.  Caroline and I or off to Turkey and a few days in Brussels.

            Mike Feil
            getmikie@...

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 30, 2007

              Sam,

              Put me on the list for the 19th.  I can work on some of the harder Assateague bees that I got this year.

              Richard Orr

              Mid-Atlantic Invertebrate Field Studies

              5215 Durham Rd - East

              Columbia, MD 21044

              odonata457@...

              www.marylandinsects.com

              My lab will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on September 19th to anyone who wants to identify specimens of bees (from eastern North America ) or learn to identify bees.  Please send me an email or call me if you are coming so I can track the number of people who will be here.  I will be available during that whole time to help with id's and the identification process.

              I am going to try to have an open lab at least once a month through the school year as well as 2 week long bee identification workshops... ..to be announced later.

              If you are coming from out of town you can stay at our house the night before and after.

              Directions to the lab are below.

              sam

              Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
              BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville , MD   20705
              Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

            • David_r_smith@fws.gov
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 30, 2007

                Sam,

                I will be helping teach a course at the FWS NCTC in Shepherdstown that week and can possibly sneak away in the afternoon.  I might take you up on staying at the house that night.

                When are you going to develop a bee ID class for the NCTC.  There is an excellent aquatic insect class I took a few years ago.  I haven't stopped keying insects since.

                Most important, when are you going to develop species keys for western bees.  I am actively collecting them.  I set pan traps when I go in the field then check them on my return, just like a rodent snaptrapline without having to worry about pinched fingers in traps.

                Talk to you later,

                Dave Smith
                U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
                323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
                Flagstaff, AZ  86001
                (928) 226-0614 x 109
                "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction"  Dave Rosgen
              • Karen Wetherill
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 30, 2007
                  Dave, I have been working on bees in New Mexico. Our ranges probably
                  overlap quite a bit. I am working out of the Sevilleta. So far I have a
                  local key to morpho types of Dialictus and am working on a local key for
                  Anthophora. I have also gotten Melissodes to morphotype. All with the
                  help of Terry Griswold et al. I am up to over 150 species just from the
                  Sevilleta. I would love more material from the Chihuahuan especially
                  within New Mexico. If you ever get over to Albuquerque, I would like to
                  see what you have. Karen Wetherill

                  On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 David_r_smith@... wrote:

                  > Sam,
                  >
                  > I will be helping teach a course at the FWS NCTC in Shepherdstown that
                  > week and can possibly sneak away in the afternoon. I might take you up on
                  > staying at the house that night.
                  >
                  > When are you going to develop a bee ID class for the NCTC. There is an
                  > excellent aquatic insect class I took a few years ago. I haven't stopped
                  > keying insects since.
                  >
                  > Most important, when are you going to develop species keys for western
                  > bees. I am actively collecting them. I set pan traps when I go in the
                  > field then check them on my return, just like a rodent snaptrapline
                  > without having to worry about pinched fingers in traps.
                  >
                  > Talk to you later,
                  >
                  > Dave Smith
                  > U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
                  > 323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
                  > Flagstaff, AZ 86001
                  > (928) 226-0614 x 109
                  > "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction" Dave Rosgen
                • Bev Smith
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 14, 2007

                    Sam, Jim Mulrooney, jmulrooney@..., and I were talking last night.  I am totally swamped trying to finish my thesis by Dec. and work 8-10 hours a day.  But....when this is behind me, and I have some papers on state records, annonated checklist, etc., then he and I want to start something here at the Refuge on beemonitoring.  We will be in touch, but it will most likely not happen until late summer '08.  I do not have time to respond to any of the messages, but a lot of good stuff out there!!  How I wish I could come to your workshop on the 19th!!!  I have very few of my Las. (Dic.) species ided simply because I could not find anyone at the time to help me with them.  I have several species that Drs. Mike Engel and C. Michener and I worked on one summer in Kansas, but I have tons that unidentified.  I am not even sure as to how I am going to handle that many in my thesis at this point.  Well, I do not mean to take up your time, I just wanted to let you know that we do plan on doing something here in MS.  Have a great day and weekend.  Bev

                    More photos; more messages; more whatever. Windows Live Hotmail - NOW with 5GB storage.