RE: [beemonitoring] Effectiveness of non-Apid pollinators

  • Linda Newstrom
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2010

    Hi Laura

    A group in New Zealand has been considering this topic with our native albeit primitive bees.

    The contacts are Barry Donovan  (Barry.Donovan@...)

    and Brad Howlett (Brad.Howlett@...).

    I have attached a couple papers.

    One on comparing how much pollen is transferred by native bees and honey bees and bumble bees.

    One on the use of the terms effectiveness and efficiency and importance and ways to measure them.

    Sorry this last one has been published but I don’t have the pdf copy available to me right now as I do not have access to the source for the final published copy at the moment (In Biological Reviews 2009).

    Regards

    Linda Newstrom-Lloyd

    Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2010

      See also Lundgren JG (2009) Relationships of natural enemies and non-prey foods. Springer.

      There are some little-known and forgotten instances of pollinivory and nectarivory cited, some in detail, and many of which undoubtedly result in pollination.

      Matt G

      Message 3 of 16 , Nov 4, 2010
        Hello,

        I've just read about a bioinformatics system for identifying bees
        called ABIS. Does anyone know where I can find this software, how to
        get ahold of it, and what it might cost?

        Thank you,

        Susan Waters
      • Wilson, Michael E
        Message 4 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010
          Hi Susan,
          That reminded me of some honey bee morphometric work I have heard presentations about. I found this reference in an article.

          Steinhage V., Arbuckle T., Schröder S., Cremers
          A.B., Wittmann D. (2001) ABIS: Automated
          Identification of Bee Species, German
          Programme on Biodiversity and Global Change,
          Status Report 2001, Bonn, pp. 194–195, [online]
          http://www.informatik.uni-bonn.de/projects/ABIS/
          ABIS_publications.html (accessed on 24 October
          2005).

          With the link being broken, it appears it used to link from the bottom of this page

          http://wob.iai.uni-bonn.de/Wob/de/view/class217_id1312.html#class217_id1335

          Hope that helps.
          Michael Wilson
          University of Tennessee

          Message 5 of 16 , Nov 5, 2010

            Susan- ABIS is (was) a sophisticated morphometric digitization and analysis system for identifying bees to species, sometimes even subspecies.  It used angles/lengths/ratios of wing veins and cells fit (collected authomatically in later versions) and automatically chose to fit them to one of 7 (I think) templates, once the system was “trained” on a set of knowns for the genus of interest.  When I last checked, a user-friendly front-end was not available for the software, which was University developed in Germany.  It’s performance would impress if not awe anyone, even a seasoned bee taxonomist.  Last I knew, the software team is now scattered.

            Yours,

            jim

            ===============================

            James H. Cane

            Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

            tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

            email: Jim.Cane@...

            http://www.ars.usda.gov/npa/logan/beelab

            http://www.biology.usu.edu/people/facultyinfo.asp?username=jcane