RE: [beemonitoring] Hesperapis oraris field ID tips?

  • david almquist
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2010
      Thanks to both of you for the tips.  I suspect from what you've said that I'll be able to examine some up close and then get a sortof gestalt eye for it.

      To: daidunno@...
      Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Hesperapis oraris field ID tips?
      From: sdroege@...
      Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 13:55:13 -0400

      Dave

      The very flat abdomen should be a great field mark...at least in the net.

      The Sun

      Have you ever seen
      anything
      in your life
      more wonderful

      than the way the sun,
      every evening,
      relaxed and easy,
      floats toward the horizon

      and into the clouds or the hills,
      or the rumpled sea,
      and is gone--
      and how it slides again

      out of the blackness,
      every morning,
      on the other side of the world,
      like a red flower

      streaming upward on its heavenly oils,
      say, on a morning in early summer,
      at its perfect imperial distance--
      and have you ever felt for anything
      such wild love--
      do you think there is anywhere, in any language,
      a word billowing enough
      for the pleasure

      that fills you,
      as the sun
      reaches out,
      as it warms you

      as you stand there,
      empty-handed--
      or have you too
      turned from this world--

      or have you too
      gone crazy
      for power,
      for things?

      - Mary Oliver
      P Bees are not optional.

      From:"bugalmquist" <daidunno@...>
      To:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      Date:10/07/2010 12:17 PM
      Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        I'm sure that I can ID it under a scope, but the one picture of it that I've seen made me wonder how to tell it apart from superficially similar spp in the field and it will not be feasible to just collect every bee that comes to its host flower and sort them out later. Part of the reason that I'd like to find some sort of good field characters is that I would like to try to get some non-entomologists looking for this sp. Thanks.

      Dave