Re: [beemonitoring] CCD breakthrough paper

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2010
      Dear Doug:

      One of the authors of that paper was on the evening news last night.  I believe it was on CBS.   As usual, the tv journalists may have been a little too enthusiastic stating that the twin causes of colony collapse disorder were now known.  The essence of the piece was that the fungus doesn't cause it and the virus doesn't cause it but CCD occurs when the hive gets both microbes.  Interestingly, the narrator kept repeating that the fungus was a parasite.  I don't think the word, pathogen, was ever used for either the fungus or the virus.  Does that mean that the general public understand the word parasite, but not pathogen or, more likely the press treats parasite and pathogen as synonyms?  Interesting.

      Peter

      On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Doug Yanega <dyanega@...> wrote:

      For everyone who has been trying to explain to their friends,
      colleagues, and neighbors what is going on with the honeybees, this
      paper seems to give a fairly definitive answer, as it addresses a lot
      of the worrisome discrepancies that made previous studies less than
      conclusive:

      http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0013181

      Basically, the authors conclude that Nosema ceranae alone does not
      cause CCD, nor do viral infections - but both together DO, and the
      viruses in question were not detected in earlier studies.

      Peace,