Latest Bee Drying Advice and Protocol from BIML

  • Zak Gezon
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7 8:47 AM
      Hello everyone,

      As a quick add-on to what Sam was saying, I like to place the drying jar on its side in the top drawer of my desk and tape the hairdryer to the surface of my desk (at the correct angle) to do the drying for me.  It's not as fancy as an auto-dryer, but it frees up my hands to wash other bees while drying and it encourages me to dry for the full three minutes rather than getting board and stopping early.  If done correctly I can get the bees to swirl around in the jar just as if I were holding it, and makes the process far more efficient.

      Zak

      --
      Zak Gezon
      PhD Student
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7 9:08 AM

        Hi everyone,

        I have been playing around with putting paper toweling scrunched up into little balls  inside the jar with bees when drying…much like adding tennis balls to your clothes dryer when trying to fluff up down…the added friction seems to help, especially if it is a sample that does not have a lot of bees in it…

        Tracy

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7 9:55 AM

        Here is the file for those who can download from this email.

        Charlie Smith, The Mandolin Player,
        Reveals an Unexpected Streak of Cruelty
        Toward Boxelder Bugs,
        But Takes two of the Three
        Steps Necessary for Attaining
        Full Moral
        Consciousness

        At school we glued up
        their wings and set them on fire.
        God, we were awful!

        II

        No,merely human...
        Awful is much too easy
        a consolation

            - Bill Holm
      • David_r_smith@fws.gov
        Message 4 of 6 , Oct 7 12:43 PM

          Lying the blow dryer on its side on a towell facing the square-sided mason jar, also on a folded towell works pretty good too.  If your wife is out of town you can leave that set on the bathroom counter all week.
        • Nick Stewart
          Message 5 of 6 , Oct 7 4:36 PM
            Hello all,

                Most recently I've found that the use of a metal tea steeper (larger ones) work far better than even a jar. I can the spherical steeper w/ bees inside w/in a large jar for the washing stage, then when drying, I hold on to the long metal chain, giving me 360 degree access to the specimens inside. In fact, even the largest Bombus or Xylocopa is dry in a couple minutes!

            Nick Stewart