Re: [beemonitoring] Colony Collapse Disorder related to Nosema ceranae?

  • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 20, 2007
      Dear Group,

      I've been talking to members of the colony collapse disorder research coallition of Penn State, USDA, ARS Beltsville, and North Carolina State U.  they've been looking at everything they have tools to look at, including using the honey bee genome results to sort out all the DNA from samples.  turns out that most of the Nosema in the U.S. is ceranae, and has been for some time.  And this is not consistently found with dead colonies.  If fact, many colonies have everything, viruses, foulbroods, mites, etc.  They have some leads, but we are all betting that it is not just one thing, but a host of stressors.  Including management styles.  Work continues at a great rate.

      Anita M. Collins
      USDA, ARS, Bee Research Lab, RETIRED.
    • David_r_smith@fws.gov
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007

        I am new to the native bee monitoring world so please bear with me on a basic entomological question.  Most of my previous monitoring work is on aquatic insects.

        Is anyone aware of a reference for constructing light traps for night-flying insects?  I'd rather build one then buy one.  This will give me something to do at night after checking pan traps for bees.

        Thanks a lot,

        Dave Smith
        U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
        323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
        Flagstaff, AZ  86001
        (928) 226-0614 x 109
        "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction"  Dave Rosgen