Colony Collapse Disorder related to Nosema ceranae?

  • Malinda Slagle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 20, 2007
      Message
       Hi all-
      I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Nosema ceranae parasite that supposedly is affecting Spanish honeybee hives (http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/43163/story.htm).  Could this be in any way related to the colony collapse disorder here in the United States?
      A quick search on Wikipedia suggests that this may indeed be the case, but I was wondering if anyone had more scientific documentation on this.
      Thanks-
      Malinda

      Malinda W. Slagle
      Restoration Ecologist
      Litzsinger Road Ecology Center
      Missouri Botanical Garden
      9711 Litzsinger Rd
      St Louis MO 63124
      314-961-4410
      malinda.slagle@...

      To discover and share knowledge about plants and their environment, in order to preserve and enrich life.
      -mission of the Missouri Botanical Garden

    • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 20, 2007
        Dear Group,

        I've been talking to members of the colony collapse disorder research coallition of Penn State, USDA, ARS Beltsville, and North Carolina State U.  they've been looking at everything they have tools to look at, including using the honey bee genome results to sort out all the DNA from samples.  turns out that most of the Nosema in the U.S. is ceranae, and has been for some time.  And this is not consistently found with dead colonies.  If fact, many colonies have everything, viruses, foulbroods, mites, etc.  They have some leads, but we are all betting that it is not just one thing, but a host of stressors.  Including management styles.  Work continues at a great rate.

        Anita M. Collins
        USDA, ARS, Bee Research Lab, RETIRED.
      • David_r_smith@fws.gov
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007

          I am new to the native bee monitoring world so please bear with me on a basic entomological question.  Most of my previous monitoring work is on aquatic insects.

          Is anyone aware of a reference for constructing light traps for night-flying insects?  I'd rather build one then buy one.  This will give me something to do at night after checking pan traps for bees.

          Thanks a lot,

          Dave Smith
          U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
          323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
          Flagstaff, AZ  86001
          (928) 226-0614 x 109
          "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction"  Dave Rosgen