Re: [beemonitoring] The death of insects and large scale surveys

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010
      Dear Sam:

      Much of the problem is that we survey insects quite differently from how we survey vertebrates and we're willing to live with a segregated protocol.  While living in Australia (1977-1985) I took part in some ornithological surveys as honeyeater birds (Meliphagidae) and silvereyes (Zosteropidae) pollinated my box mistletoes (Amyema) and sunshine wattle (Acacia terminalis).  Birds were mist-netted, measured, weighed and released.  Surely we could do something similar for the larger bees as we now have those color keys to Bombus... right?  In the 19th century weren't bird surveys conducted with guns?

      Here is my concern.  Has anyone any idea of how many pollinators can be removed from a site without depressing reproductive success in the plant life?  Let me give you two personal examples.  The Bernhardt/Meier lab and the Missouri Department of Conservation worked together to study the reproductive ecology of our threatened Missouri bladderpod (Physaria filiformis), endemic to calcareous glades, for three seasons.  Collecting prospective pollinators in action was only part of the study but we spent five days in three years netting insects on the flowers.  We caught 150 specimens representing about 40 taxa in five bee families (I won't give you the Coleoptera, Diptera or Lepidoptera) and we have a pollen load "profile" for each specimen.  In fact, one of our bees is new to science.  A mass-flowering population of P. filiformis remains in bloom for 2-3 weeks.  I don't think that five days of collecting, spread over three Springs, was deleterious to seed set in the plant species and I don't think our collections were the cause of any local insect extirpation but how can we be sure?

      We've started a new study for the MDC on Mead's milkweed (Asclepias meadii).  It has a much depressed seed set in the few prairie remnants where it continues to grow in Missouri and Kansas.  Some populations spend years without setting a single pod.  The umbel of a Mead's milkweed produces 9-14 flowers but at our best site a plant will produce a maximum of two pods.  We've found only three bee species that remove its pollinia in the past two seasons and only one is a really common visitor.  I derive a tremendous amount of data from the insects I collect.  Because of the specialized pollen release mechanism I can now discriminate between nectar thieves and true pollinia vectors.  I could even give you the Mean of how many  pollinia a bee carries during a foraging bout as the sticky plug remains attached to legs and mouth parts.  How justified am I to collect and kill pollinators at sites where one out of 20 plants produces a single pod each year?

      Sincerely, Peter

      On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Sam Droege <sdroege@...> wrote:

      Jamie:

      Well spoken.  Your logic is sound and reasonable, but I do want to comment a bit more on large scale surveys and their role in the understanding and conservation of bees, with some additional comments on the said and unsaid ethical dilemmas we all place ourselves in with studying insects.

      Fundamentally, large scale faunal surveys whose goal is to document what bees are present across numerous locales require a set of objectives, similar to the more localized surveys of individual species, crop use, or behavioral work.   A difference is that to achieve their goals such surveys need to capture and consequently kill and process relatively large number of bees compared to many other types of studies.  As with other studies the same general principals you outline below hold.  It is important to diminish bycatch, process and use what you capture, and generate useful specimens for other groups if at all possible.

      A theme that arises in some of this correspondence is one that questions whether such faunal studies are necessary or not.  While this is to some extent the purview of the person starting the study to determine and justify to their supervisors and funders...since the question has arisen, it makes some sense to lay out out the pros and cons.  On the con side is that fact that there is mortality of bees and other insects involved.  On the pro side, these surveys provide the material we need to determine status, change, presence of species.  One cannot understand the status of most (note, some species can be surveyed visually, or netted and released, but this would not be the case for most) species without collecting them.  One cannot find populations of rare or unusual specimens, unfortunately, without collecting many common specimens too.  To do taxonomic and molecular work usually require fresh specimens and since about an eighth of the all North American specimens are yet unnamed (fewer now thanks to Jason Gibb's Lasioglossum work) there is much to do...all requiring surveys.

      In most cases collecting likely has little impact on the ultimate welfare of the species, whereas not collecting specimens leaves us in the dark as to the current status and distribution of species.  While I would argue that collecting many Bombus queens from the Pacific Northwest where they all seem to be more than happy to travel long distances to a UV Blue vane or  bowl trap is something to avoid, most other species are not particularly trap happy and are solitary or eusocial.  The average females of these groups would be collected half way through their life cycle leaving progeny behind in their finished cells.   The number of bees collected to the number of bees that remain, is almost always very high.  Netting or bowl trapping repeatedly in area continues to trap large numbers of bees even after continuous trapping, leaving one with the impression that while some bees have been taken out of the system, the region has not been taken out.   Finally, if one looks at the number of collectors, the impact of their individual traps, and extrapolates to the entire landscape...the impact is diminutive...one cannot physically survey that many places to make a difference.

      If, as argued above, long-term bee populations do not suffer from a collecting effect (this needs to be better studied, really it has not been studied at all), then most of us are also caught a bit in the unspoken dilemma of favoring some insect lives more than others.  For this to be resolved, we would need to justify based on some principal that bees are somehow more important than other insects and therefore different ethical standards apply to how they are treated.  For example, think about how many insects are sacrificed when you mow your lawn with a power mower rather than a hand reel mower .... or not mowing at all.  What of those lives?  I know of know programs to diminish mowing that use the argument that thousands of insects are killed in the process.    Pillows and linens contain thousands of dust mites, yet we wash our linens without a thought to those lives lost.  On a species to species basis one cannot really argue that there is some innate superiority to the life of a bee vs the life of a mite.  Yet, that is part of being human as we clearly favor domestic animals over wild (well, at least the public does) and we apply different standards to what we kill directly or kill indirectly through our passivity on issues of land conservation or the simple management of our homes and yards.  I also see this in students of bees who mourn the loss of a charismatic bumblebee, but think nothing of the dozens of sweat bees that are also killed.  The ACUC committee is a good model for applying ethical standards to the treatment of insects, in those documents you will be unlikely to find a notion that one sort of vertebrate is more OK to mistreat than another.

      In the end we have all come to appreciate the beauty of the bees that we study.  In the process we both objectify and project our values on this group.  This is helpful as it intensifies our desire for their well-being.   But, in the end, this may mean that you and I, as individuals, will favor approaches that differ based not only on scientific credibility, but our personal values.  This is also fine, but problems may arise if we assess the merit of studies on our values rather than their scientific credibility (which, of course, is also a philosophic position open to interpretation).

      Very tricky!

      A Noiseless Patient Spider

      A noiseless patient spider,
      I mark'd where on a little promontory it stood isolated,
      Mark'd how to explore the vacant vast surrounding,
      It launch'd forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself,
      Ever unreeling them, ever tirelessly speeding them.

      And you O my soul where you stand,
      Surrounded, detached, in measureless oceans of space,
      Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing, seeking the spheres to connect them,
      Till the bridge you will need be form'd, till the ductile anchor hold,
      Till the gossamer thread you fling catch somewhere, O my soul.

              -- Walt Whitman

      P Bees are not optional.

      From:"Strange, James" <James.Strange@...>
      To:"Sam Droege" <sdroege@...>
      Cc:<beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
      Date:09/07/2010 07:55 PM
      Subject:RE: [beemonitoring] On squash bee, surveys, and the death of insects

      Sam et al.,

      Thanks for your thoughtful posts.  It is indeed a diverse group that works on bees.

      I hate to pick at scabs, but during the flurry of posts last week I thought it best to walk away and let the holiday weekend temper my thoughts on this issue.  I do want to throw my two cents into the pot as I think this is an important issue.  This is, of course, not about Peponapis or even traps, really.  It is about bees and the ethics of killing them.  And, as it turns out, the easiest way to kill and collect oodles of bees is to trap them.  As Sam rightfully pointed out, we are all going to approach this in different ways, with different feelings about this and, I suspect, those feelings will largely be influenced by the particular work the individual is doing.  And, yes, it depends on our objectives.  It is easy for me to justify the taking of several hundred bees for pathogen or population surveys because I “need” to kill the bees to acquire the data.  I imagine we all perceive similar “needs” for our own work.

      I don’t suppose we need some ethical treatise on the subject of killing bees, but I think that we should be able to bring up the question without too much rancor.  A few simple checks (What are my research goals?  How many specimens do I need to take to achieve those goals?  What are the ups and downs of my particular methodology?) should be employed before any project.  I would add a few other questions to the list.  If I kill bees, how can I maximize the data they generate?  Could I justify this to an ethical review board?  What would Vince do?

      I personally don’t find it necessary to know all of the bees that exist in the world; my interests seem to revolve around the more common ones.   However, if you are so inclined, then I have no major beef with your goals.  Yet, I have lately seen several collections that have come out of traps (of various kinds) and I am in general disappointed that the collectors used that method.  For large faunal surveys, they may be an excellent tool, but too many people (and sadly many are students) are using the traps to gather data where trapping is inappropriate.  As Peter mentioned, the pollen is often gone, sometimes the specimens are poorly treated after recovery, or in the case of the vane traps the specimens are broken and brittle.  There is also the issue of by-catch to contend with.  All those unwanted beetles, moths and flies add up.  If the particular trap (e.g. Alex’s Peponapis trap) can reduce the by-catch then I am in favor.  Though I would still argue that in most cases the bees could be observed at the flowers and captured if you are really interested in the visitors to a particular flower.  Perhaps there are other cases where it would be even better applied.

      In general I take the philosophy that Jim Cane and Vince Tepedino espoused, which is to say I have reservations about large scale faunal surveys in general.  Where a clear scientific question is posed a priori and the benefits can be seen to outweigh the costs, then by all means, go for it.   While it is interesting to consider the possibility of what we might be able to do if we had a few long series of Bombus affinis as John pointed out, I still have a hard time wishing there were more in collections.  The best series we have of Bombus occidentalis came from Macior’s net collections while studying the pollination of Pedicularis, not from large faunal surveys.  Unfortunately his labeling leaves something to be desired.  A final thought to chew on:  What if a trap turns up a dead Bombus franklini queen?  An undergrad with a net could be trained to photograph and release that same queen.  Would trapping be justified to say “look, the species was extant last week”?

      Thanks for your time and your thoughts,
      Jamie

      James P. Strange PhD
      Research Entomologist
      USDA-ARS- PIRU
      Logan, UT
      435-797-7151

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010

        As an ecologist interested in the role of flowering plant diversity and provenance on insect biodiversity and biocontrol, I’ve found this discussion important, provocative, and instructive. As natural and semi-natural habitats are assaulted from all sides by development and pollution, we must have defensible data on pollinator and other insect biodiversity to inform scientific and public discussion of these threats. Instruments for the necessary surveys seem to run from nets to malaise traps: the former is biased by investigator behavior; the latter seems a blunt-edged battering ram with unknown biases, including, importantly, the effective capture radius.

        I’m new to this area but my impression from discussions with various hymenopterists is that pan trapping offers the best combination of thoroughness and spatial circumscription for tying species richness to particular habitats. To the extent possible one should limit trapping to the lowest duration and frequency for the task (perhaps this is known for at least some groups from cumulative diversity curves). One must also be mindful of the by-catch, which includes many other groups – e.g., parasitic and predatory wasps, predatory beetles – that are also important to ecosystem function. In the case of the non-pollinating Hymenoptera, many systematists would be eager for a chance to have at them; in general, we can all save our by-caught material in EtOH in cool, dark places until we can find the right person to give them to.

        Sincerely,

        Matt